News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Striped Tigers and their Marks

JapanX

I Have been holding my breath on this for over four months hoping someone would ask this question and I would not look stupid, but alas no one has asked, why is there a rosette on this 5th Class Wen HU?

Richard

Hi Richard,

I think (it's quite obvious from color and material) this ribbon is a later replacement.

As for the wrong rosette...

This ribbon was definitely made specially for this order (same material was used in case of miniature ribbon ;)) in some British workshop. Who knows what they were told (not to mention "when and by whom" ;)) and how much did they know about 9 classes of striped tiger order?

Regards,

Nick

• Replies 237
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have in my collection as second class of the Striped Tiger, with case, which has no seals or digital marks. The back of the star is blank and the rear of the sashbadge has a red enamelled medaillon with gold Chinese characters indicating the class. The enamel is beautiful. I bought it in Japan and I am sure it was awarded to a Japanese. Is anyone familiar with this type?

Pieter

I have in my collection as second class of the Striped Tiger, with case, which has no seals or digital marks. The back of the star is blank and the rear of the sashbadge has a red enamelled medaillon with gold Chinese characters indicating the class. The enamel is beautiful. I bought it in Japan and I am sure it was awarded to a Japanese. Is anyone familiar with this type?

Pieter

This could be a striped tiger medal that was manufactured in Japan. This being the case, it would explain the lack of seal and hallmark, I ran accross a reference to Japanese made Tigers while recently doing some research on the Morton and Eden archive section. Pictures would help.

Richard

www.thegoldenkite.com

Richard,

It could indeed be a Japanese made set, although the case and sash are in my opinion typical Chinese made.

I tried to attach pictures, but was told that the file was too big to upload, even with a single picture. I will try again tomorrow, otherwise I will have to ask Nick's assistance again.

Pieter

Looks like 100% Chinese Tiger to mee ;)

Does the plain reverse without any marks indeed indicates that piece was made in Japan?

I don`t think so.

There are pieces without any marks that are definitely made by the same workshops that made marked one.

But let`s discuss this 2nd class.

The only "eccentric" features are

1) two riverts construction of the breast star

2) rear of the sashbadge has a red enamelled medaillon

Are these features really eccentric?

Well, check out piece that was shown in posts # 29 and # 30.

No marks and four riverts construction ;)

Here comes another one ...

Edited by JapanX