News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Big Question - where to start !

I have recently started collecting medals and I have acquired some of what i assumed to be the more usual starting points, the Commonwealth WW1 medals,

I have a group of the the 1914 star, the victory medal and the service medal but they are all awarded to different men who served in different units

basically I would like to find out a bit more more about the recipients.

I have tried nominal roles and one site that suggested it possessed 4 million military records which I could access for the princely sum of 8 GBP a month only to find I have the only three recipients not on its database.

so , Where does one start when delving into , is there a process that some of the more experienced researchers have found works or is it a game of good luck and serendipity.

I have a 1914 star awarded to a bloke in the 2.RIF BRIG, i assume that is the 2nd Rifle brigade , I cannot even find information on the brigade.

If some one could offer some suggestions on where to start or even some references that could form a good starting point that may help it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hi Lee,

Have a look at this site http://www.nationala...line/medals.asp

You can search the Medal Cards to get a bit more information on the recipient, using the naming details on your medals. To find out more about British soldiers you need to subscribe to Ancestry, but for Australian soldiers go to http://www.naa.gov.a...s/army-wwi.aspx where you can search free.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Bill is correct.

I find ancestry is a good start but searching on that site can be a real pain. You do know that most British service records were destroyed in the Blitz don't you?

If you'd like to post their names, numbers etc. I can check the MIC's for you.

Tony