News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3 German WW2 Period pictures, what exactly have I got?

Picked this little lot up recently in Deva:-

Picture1. 140mm X 103mm

Picture 2.140mm X 89mm

impressed lower right corner: JoH RYBAover GOLDAP OSTPR

Picture 3. 65mm X 50mm

Picture 4. 90mm X 63mm

stamped to the rear: Foto Biesemeier over Bad Salzuflen 2191

Crop of picture 4.

Any ideas as to what rank and units??

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Nice photos. I don't know what unit the soldier in Photo 1 is from - are you able to get a clearer image of his shouldboard as he seems to have a cypher on there which could shed some light. It looks like 'M' for Machinengewehrbataillon but it is too hard to be sure. It might also be a unit number. Rank could be Feldwebel.

The second one is a member of Heeresverwaltung as indicated by the HV cypher on his shoulderboard and the collar litzen. Judging by the small bump just visible on the other shoulderboard it looks like he is the equivalent of an Oberleutnant. Here are the various rank details for Wehrmachtbeamte... http://www.wwiidayby...machtbeamte.htm

No idea about number 3 and for number 4 I would have a guess at NSFK judging by the shape of the eagle... http://www.wwiidayby...formen/nsfk.htm

Edited by hucks216

Photo No.2 is a Heeresverwaltungsbeamter auf Kriegsdauer.

Photo No.4 is a memer of the NSFK in Ausgehanzug (Walking-out dress

Hallo Oldulf,

thanks for your reply, what would that translate to in English?

Kevin in Deva.

Heeresverwaltungsbeamter auf Kriegsdauer would be "Army Administrative Official for the Duration of the War". These would be civilians in various fields called into service for the war. You tend to see "a.K" officials in medical services and in various other technical and support services.

Thanks Dave, you're just ahead of me.

Regarding photo 1, to me it looks like a Roman numeral IV, indicating that he is on the staff of Wehrkreis IV (Military District), Korpskommando IV (Staff of Army Corps) or Wehrersatzdienststelle IV (Replenishment Office)

I would date the photo around 1939.