News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual Naval Group - With Russian Medals

Nick - very interesting information - thankyou. I presume your two groups were mounted as worn - many of the old sailors

were not aware of the correct order for the medals. For some reason - pronbably at time of issue both medals were stuck to the

card and I don't want to destroy it. Mervyn

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick - very interesting information - thankyou. I presume your two groups were mounted as worn - many of the old sailors

were not aware of the correct order for the medals. For some reason - pronbably at time of issue both medals were stuck to the card and I don't want to destroy it. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

right decision! It is certanly medal with inscription "участнику войны"/"participant of the war" since the document you showed to us in post #10 is document for this type of medal.

Regards,

Nick

Nick, a very impressive group but the medal award certificate does not belong to it or you are missing 2 clasps possibly pacific and france and germany.

The medal certificate shows 7 items were snet in the brown box, this does not include the MiD as this was awarded seperately the same as the malta cnvoy medal issued in 1995? and russian 40th issued in 1985.

therefor as 5 medals are mounted the only possible 2 extra would be pacific clasp for the burma star and the france and germany clasp for the atlantic star.

Kind Regards

james

Nick, a very impressive group ...

Hi James,

thanks for your comment!

This group doesn't belong to me and was posted as an example of 1991 soviet awarding ;)

... medal award certificate does not belong to it ...

Could be ...

... therefor as 5 medals are mounted the only possible 2 extra would be pacific clasp for the burma star and the france and germany clasp for the atlantic star.

Either that or the evil dealer hypothesis :)

Who simply inscribed number 7 into empty award certificate for "keeping things in order" ;)

Best wishes,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Years ago I had the privilege of mounting the medals of my late father's partner, then Mr. Justice Wesley Gibson Gray, late R.C.N.V.R. (served H.M.C.S. Stormont) He had the 1939-45, France and Germany Star with Atlantic bar, C.V.S.M. and clasp, War Medal - and the Soviet 40th Anniversary Medal. I took some pictures, but I'm not sure whether I have a reverse shot of the last.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Years ago I had the privilege of mounting the medals of my late father's partner, then Mr. Justice Wesley Gibson Gray, late R.N.C.V.R. (served H.M.C.S. Stormont) He had the 1939-45, France and Germany Star with Atlantic bar, C.V.S.M. and clasp, War Medal - and the Soviet 40th Anniversary Medal. I took some pictures, but I'm not sure whether I have a reverse shot of the last.

It certanly will be very interesting to see another group with 40th anniversary medal Michael (with or without reverse picture)!

Regards,

Nick

Since that was pre-digital, I will have to scan the photos.

Interestingly enough, Stormont was purchased by Aristotle Onassis and converted to a luxury yacht. After his death the Royal Hellenic Navy took it over as H.H.M.S. Achilles. Gib had a phot of it sent to him by the Greek Captain.

Nick, thanks for posting all those groups, and sorry for responding late. It's definitely interesting to see more of these Russian anniversary awards to British recipients, especially the documents. That's where the patterns emerge. I figured that the medal would be the usual war veteran variation, but I wonder if there were any unique cases.

Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you I have read and looked at the illustrations with great interest. I have a group in my collection of most likely a South African shipmate on HMS Shropshire, G.G. Middleton. He received the 39-45. Atlantic and Africa Stars, Defence Medal, War Medal and Africa Service medal all named as per the South African practise. He also received the Russian medals for 40 yrs, 50 yrs and 55 yrs. I have some badges, documents and various correspondence that came with the group which refers to an article he wrote regarding his experiences in the Murmansk convoys that was published in the November 1989 edition of the MOTH magazine, "Home Front". Despite a number of enquiries through different channels I have been unable to locate a copy of the article and wonder whether any of the Forum members may actually have a copy of this information or know where back issues of the "Home Front" can be found as it would greatly help complete his story.

Gavin - welcome to GMIC. Hopefully one of our members will be a MOTH and have a copy of the issue you mention ?

Should this not be the case, then I will contact MOTH HQ in Durban. Mervyn

Gavin - welcome to GMIC. Hopefully one of our members will be a MOTH and have a copy of the issue you mention ?

Should this not be the case, then I will contact MOTH HQ in Durban. Mervyn

Thank you very much. It may also be of value for a perspective on the Murmansk Convoys.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick, as far as I know, the group you just posted has been split, sadly. One of the Russian medals with the document was sold on ebay a few months ago by a Bulgarian seller notorious for mauling groups. The asking price was $2000.

On second thought of course it should be this separate original soviet medal.

But the asking price is simply unreal.

Even the medal without inscription "участнику войны" couldn`t cost that much!!!

Edited by JapanX

• 1 year later...
    • 10 months later...