News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all. Three pieces from a grouping that Nick's (Obergefreiter) brother in law got from a WW2 veteran who brought them all back. He sent the collection to Nick for ID, valuation and hopefully sale.

Nick and I met over in Devils Lake at the coffee house again last week... I took my Epson and did scans of just about everything in the collection save a bit of documentation (not award docs) which he'll be getting scanned back at his library.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Mr Hauptmann! I've never seen 2nd class Ostvolk Medal. This photo really surprised me since one of the ribbon is very similar to the Japanese kite medal, with one stripe over green. Another point I want to ask is the circular design done by Mr. Elmar Lang. Is this the same person at the Institute of Biophysics, at University of Regensburg in Germany? If so, does this medal stands? for unification? of the Aryan race? given to Russians?

Hello Mr. Hzenba,

In response to your enquiry,

Hello, Mr Hauptmann! I've never seen 2nd class Ostvolk Medal. This photo really surprised me since one of the ribbon is very similar to the Japanese kite medal, with one stripe over green. Another point I want to ask is the circular design done by Mr. Elmar Lang. Is this the same person at the Institute of Biophysics, at University of Regensburg in Germany? If so, does this medal stands? for unification? of the Aryan race? given to Russians?

Dear Mr. Hzenba,

in response to your inquiry, until recently I had never seen an Ostvolk Medal of any kind. Nor do I know anything about Herr Lang, other than that he did design the award. My knowlege is pretty much limited to the fact that it was awarded to Soviet citizens who fought for the Germans, and was awarded with swords for valor and without swords for merit. I don't know that the Aryan race had anything to do with it specifically, but I could be wrong. Thanks for looking at the awards, and please check out the other awards that I've posted from my recently acquired grouping. Nick.

Magnificent! Many, many thank you for your heart-warming? information. So 2 deadly mishaps, soso far, but fortunately I haven't encountered any fakes yet. So how much is/are these Ostvolk medals? Just kidding.

Hello,Mr. Speedytop! Today I want to be enlightened regarding this Ostvolk medals. As regards to it's background, the Russians during WW1 were the most powerful military at the Eastern Front. And they had largely out numbered everydody else, right? The Austrians lost largely with Russian men during that war. Germans had superior guns and militia. Russians also had superior equipement but was known to be ill equipped. Taking in these facts, Ostvolk medal was issued to the eastern people of Germany. And since Russia won, it made sense to me to have this medal issued again, theoretically that is after WW2. Theoretically, what do you think?

Hi hzenba2012,

"... to have this medal issued again" ????

WW1 ????

The "Tapferkeits- und Verdienstauszeichnung für Angehörige der Ostvölker", instituted in July 1942 (that is WW2), was a decoration with swords for foreign members in the German Army (Tapferkeits-Auszeichnung) and without swords for foreign personnel with special achievements in the occupied regions (Verdienst-Auszeichnung).

4 of these 10 decorations could be awarded to German soldiers too, as commemorative badge.

foreign means here > Ostvölker

occupied regions means here > Ostgebiete

Why should a Nazi award be issued again?

Uwe

Edited by speedytop