RichieC

Fort Stalin - Crimea

27 posts in this topic

Photos from my recent visit to Fort Stalin, only a few km outside of Sevastopol. I was told by the friend that accompanied me here that this heavy Coastal Artillery fortification was destroyed largely in part by the massive 800MM German Railway Gun "Gustav".

It was not restored and returned to service after the war like its close counterpart; Fort Maxim Gorky.

We were a bit hesitant venturing deep inside some of the cavernous rooms as many were filled with water and, rats. There were also many used hypodermic needles scattered all about, no less by the "junkheads" we assume reside there in the evenings.

I hope to return here again and venture more into the inside. I'll remember to bring my rat swatter this time...

Looks like it has been there since the Crusades.

No monument, no signs, no flagpole? Just... abandoned to urban sprawl?

No monument, no signs, no flagpole? Just... abandoned to urban sprawl?

Not a THING, which astounded me as there are hundreds of monuments, memorials, and plaques all over the city! The surrounding area is littered with refuse and piles of concrete & asphalt. Fort Maxim Gorky was reconstructed shortly after the war and is still in use by the Black Sea Fleet Marines. There is a small monument and even a small Orthodox place of worship under construction at this time.

I will create a photo thread of it shortly...

richie-

thanks for your pictures! this looks bleak

and i can understand a bit of apprehension

re: touring some of the inner sancta....

any shots of what they DID have plaques on?

joe