News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

Sold today for €5K.

A once-in-a-lifetime item, unique in the history of Third Reich decorations, for less than the price of a common-or-garden M36 SS dagger.

Now ............... was that a bargain?

Or .................. WAS THAT A BARGAIN ? ;)

Never instituted.

Never awarded.

Never manufactured.

But ........................ submitted for consideration to the FHQ, at the 'last gasp', to recognise one of the hardest counter-guerrilla campaigns of the war.

Priceless, IMHO. :jumping:

Ailsby claimed he knew the officer- but nobody else seems to. Ailsby grew up in the same area as my Nan and I asked her about him and the german POWs in the area- many of whom she knew also. She had a mind like a steel trap for gossip and who-knew-who and did-what. She said she'd never heard of either of them.

I suspect that the story Ailsby told was like many others that he told.

Chris .............. this is a LOT rarer than even the FW TK. Believe me.

I dont doubt that... if its real.

For some reason I think, if the price was only 5000... then many serious bidders had doubts.

What is the provenance?

Becuase the stamping is different to known fakes, does not make it automatically real.

How do we know that drawing is real... as opposed to done by a good artist and make to look old?

I am neutral on this, but would not accept it just like that...

Chris.

1. I'm a Scot.

2. Therefore, every penny is a prisoner.

3. I'm happy. ;)

Let's just leave it at that.

Hi,

Sorry, did not know YOU were the buyer...

I dont say the things are bad... but I would make sure to see all the pros and cons

best

Chris

Hello Don.

Thanks.

I don't like parting with hard cash, but this thing was once-in-a-lifetime.

A bit like the FW TK.

When I first saw the von Arent drawing over 40 years ago, I never thought that it would eventually come my way. This shield was conceived to recognise one of the hardest campaigns of the war, but never made it into production. The drawing and matrix were as far as it got.

Just think ...... Handschar, Prinz Eugen, Operation 'Knight's Move', Tito, Budapest, SS Paras. etc. etc. etc. .........

So, after all that time, my 'official' campaign shield collection is finally complete.

In fact, come to think of it, it's now the only complete campaign shield collection in the world! ;)

Happy days.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Pete.

Just to be clear.

I respect your opinion, whatever it is, but I didn't post this looking for opinions.

I'm long past all of that 'opinion' stuff.

This set is a 'one-off' and I'm happy to have found it.

No ..... after 40 years of looking ....... and studying ........ I'm VERY happy.

I'm not an authority on tinnies.

But I do know a bit about medals and awards.

And German history. ;)

Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Robin,

Have you seen K-G Klietmann's "Medal Collector" article on the shield? Believe it was published in the early-mid 1960s. It has an image of the signed design concept sheet. Probably the same document as yours...I could look for the article if you wish. Likely document ex-Klietmann via Blass to you.