News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1/72 scale German light cruiser Munich. 1940

Haratio Fales

Hello all. I am a vetran of the U.S. Navy, and U.S. Army. I have built models since the age of 5. I am a desert shield and storm vetran. I hav studied war history and millitary history since the age of 14. I have built a few scatch built projects for fun but mostly things like cutting 2 Iowa battle ships up to make a Montana class in 1/350 scale, and a 1/12th scale F19 spectre from scratch. I am curently embarked on building a 1/72 scale model of a M class light cruiser that would most likley have been named Munich if completed. She was part of plan Z and they had aquired material for the first 3 ships. The plan was to build 6 of them and then 2 more that would have been slightly larger than the first 6 with a few more large aa guns and a slightly longer range.

I will post some pics and see what You think. Comments and Critisisms are welcome as even critisizm can reveal truthes or help me reconsider better ways of doing things. And any comment that seems uninteligent or down right rude is always good for me to laugh at You behind Your back.

This is the first concept shot. It is a Japanese light cruiser that is basically neer the size of cruiser M in size with Kreigs Marine parts on board to help Me establish a layout for the Munich. The hulls in the background are Graph Spee, Bismark, and BB69 USS Main.

• Replies 152
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You for the welcome Larry. The model will be 8 feet, 8 and 1 quarter inch long from Bow to stern. The demensions stat 179 meters but this can be a bit deceptive as the plans start the 0 line about 2 meters in from the end of the stern as this was a common practise in ship building. and called perpendicular datum line length. so allot of ships were stated at these lengths when in fact teh stern or bow extended further out. This is real apparent on old ships that had the bottom of the Bow shaped in a forward ram shape. They claimed the lenght of the ship at the top of the Bow andnot the furthest most point.

This is an old ME 109 model I built in my 20s and My 7 year old test flew it when she was 4 and it seemed to lose most of its surfaces, but now its a good scale referance.

I hope these blow up in good detail, I can shrink them more and add more pics per post. on other Forums I ussually post 1 per post, however I believe I have limited space on this one so I dont want to run out in the middle of the project. Let me know if You guys can see them all when blown up. These ar pictures of the deck for the Bow in 1/8th inch oak plywood and the Bow keel spar with the first rib in 1/4th inch birch plywood.

Edited by Haratio Fales

Shw will be 8 foot 8 and a quarter inch long. I do plan on building multiple parts in Resin, or Pewter cast. Barrols lathed from brass or alluminum. I haven't found crew yet. I know someone make them as I have seen them on IMPS Malta forum. I did't like the way the thumb nails came out on the last 2 posts so ill post them bigger. I acctually have allot more of the Project done than appears here as I just started posting here. I didn't want to skip a large section of the building process but I can avoid being redundant wich is what has happened a bit on some other sites I am on. I will condense the Info, but post so You can see how I have proceded to get caught up. Then I can track with the other sites as I go along. This is a shot of the Bow keel spar adn top deck.