News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Olympia 1936 souvenir medal- Opinions sought

I recently bought this from an online dealer who also sells on ebay, it was a hasty bid! It measures approximately 70mm in diameter and made of zinc. It was described as souvenir medal available for visitors to the games to purchase.

But in the hand and when I give it thought it does not look right. For a start, one side features the Otto Placzek design that features on the Olympic participants bronze medals, the other side imitates the design that featured on the official Olympic medals of 1936. Which seems a strange combination as each was designed by different people for different purposes.

Also the facial detail of the female victory figure seems crude as well as the detail in general. In conclusion I think it is a cobbled together fantasy piece.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I am set to send this back unless anyone can allay my fears.

Hi Richard,

it is a sports medal in the 70s or 80s for marching/walking/hiking competitions. It is intentionally without the ribbon, because you can see the dates for the event there.

See for example:

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Uwe, many thanks for taking the time to reply, especially for the photo which says it all! I really should have known better, in my experience offical 1936 merchandise, while affordable, was for the most part thoughtfully designed and produced by good quality manufacturers. Something I will have to remember more often!