News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Which Regiment has this cap badge?

David is correct, originally this cap badge was just the 17th Lancers and it amalgamated in 1922 with th 21st Lancers hence the 17/21st title as we more know it as.

In 1993 when we scaled down, it was yet again amalgamated this time with the 16/5th Lancers to become the Queens Royal Lancers. This change to the QRL title wasn't well recieved at all.

They were as the 17/21st in the 1990/91 War, part of the UK 1st Armoured Div which is what I was attached to.

The last time I saw these guys was in late 1998 in Bosnia.

Kr

Marcus

I came out in 2000 of the regular forces, but I'd imagine they were out there too, they are the Challenger big boys lot !!

I think it's the same, but has a cloth backing perhaps or the colour of their beret has changed or something....there was some contention over something LOL !!! I think the regimantal crest has two Lance's eminating from it, when that came in to fruition god knows, that could have in 1922 even ? It's odd, I'm an ex regular soldier and in all 16 years in the Brit forces in some capacity and I know nothing of my armies traditions history etc etc :blush: I've just started recollecting Brit cap badges and given up on German awards for a unknown duration (money etc etc German stuff has just gone over the top)

Yeah this is one smart cap badge, a sort of 'we mean business', no crowns or latin either.......it looks ruddy smart !!!

Kr

Marcus

• 1 year later...

THe badge commemorates General Wolfe does'nt it? Referred to within the regiment as the "motto" rather than as cap badge.

I didn't know any cavalry units commemorated Wolfe - he was a groundpounder after all. One infantry unit - name escapes my aging brain wears a black tab on the back of the collars (officers, at least) to mimic the black ribbon ties they wors in their queues after Wolfe died.

I always thought that the "death or Glory boys" borrowed the skull from the German LiebHussaren just 'cause it looked cool or maybe 'cause they had an honorary colonel from Germany.

Jump in any time, Michael Johnson!

Peter

• 2 months later...

I didn't know any cavalry units commemorated Wolfe - he was a groundpounder after all. One infantry unit - name escapes my aging brain wears a black tab on the back of the collars (officers, at least) to mimic the black ribbon ties they wors in their queues after Wolfe died.

I always thought that the "death or Glory boys" borrowed the skull from the German LiebHussaren just 'cause it looked cool or maybe 'cause they had an honorary colonel from Germany.

Jump in any time, Michael Johnson!

Peter

Yep, selected by Colonel John Hale following the death of & in honour of Wolfe.