News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Army Victory Medals - lighter?

I saw a Brit Vic Medal in an antique mall today - it seemed a bit lighter in heft than other Brit Vic's I have in my collection. It was named to an Indian Havildar. Were medals to the Indian Army minted differently?

The unit marking was - I.G.A. (or at least I think), but looking at the UK Archives site's list of unit abbrev's - this one doesn't appear. I was thinking it was Indian Garrison Artillery - but that does appear to be a unit.

Any thoughts?

Hi Rick,

I assume you mean the WW1 Victory medal? I've wondered about them, as I've seen some Indian Army ones that seem to have much less detail in the figure of Victory.

I suggest you repost your query in the Victory Medal section (if I have understood correctly) - http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/48253-british-victory-medals/page__st__60

The real experts can comment on it then!

Bill

The Victory Medals to the Indian Army were minted and named in Delhi and may well vary slightly in weight from those made elsewhere. I've owned several, including one to a sowar of cavalry which is still somewhere in the rubbish tip I call 'my study' but I can't say I ever weighed it against a British example. One distinguishing mark of the Indian issues is the very small, thin font used in the naming, often irregular [some letters higher or lower and wonky spacing].

Technically, they were called the "Royal Garrison Artillery, India" in WWI and included mountain batteries, so "I.G.A." would be quite likley on a medal IMO. Sounds like a nice gong. What was it going for, do you recall?

Peter

Peter; thanks for the reply.

I turned up on possible MIC based upon the last name and Regt #; a Gunner in the Royal Artillery and a Pack Battery. It was selling for $35 US; not much for a Vic actually. I'll be back in that area in 3 weeks and might just go ahead and buy it for the sake of argument.