News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Victory Medals

• 3 years later...
    • Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Oliver,

Altogether not unusual to see the naming too see the naming inverted. What is more interesting is the size of the smaller name stamping on the 1793 example.

Also interesting to see an unnamed example. Are there any signs of naming removal or differences in the obverse die?

Regards from Australia,

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

Take another look at your 'unnamed' one.

I can see faint traces of letters and numbers on pictures 3 and 4, which would indicate this medal has been skimmed.

Picture 3 - right centre.

Picture 4 - centre (what looks to be the letters R D).

regards, Marcon1.

• 3 weeks later...
    11 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hi

There were a few WW1 unnamed medals stolen from the stores in SA, a few years ago.

They do come now and then on the market, here in SA.

1914 -1915 Stars , BWMs and BVic medals.

Chris

Hi,

They were by far not all stolen, around 2000 or so you could apply for reissue... i.e. you could go there and say "I would like a trio reissued for peter jones, henry smill and thomas whatsup" ... pay the money (official reciept) and walk out with 3 trios of unnamed medals.

Of course, some may have been stolen, but it was possible to get unnamed trios in 10 minutes for a small price just by filling in the forms. You just needed the name and service number, did not even have to be a relative.

Best

Chris

• 1 year later...
    On 15/11/2021 at 17:05, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi,

They were by far not all stolen, around 2000 or so you could apply for reissue... i.e. you could go there and say "I would like a trio reissued for peter jones, henry smill and thomas whatsup" ... pay the money (official reciept) and walk out with 3 trios of unnamed medals.

Of course, some may have been stolen, but it was possible to get unnamed trios in 10 minutes for a small price just by filling in the forms. You just needed the name and service number, did not even have to be a relative.

Best

Chris

That is very interesting Chris.

It would also explain why there are unnamed examples complete with the original boxes for sale on the various auction houses.

Regards,

Rob