News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

'Foreign' Lodges working in England

wm5806

Here's a couple of jewels from 'foreign' Lodges (for want of a better term), or Lodges in Britain for foreign nationals, might be a better alternative!

The first is from the Polish National Lodge (No. 534), warranted in 1840 and is, I think, a member's jewel. The eagle is beautifully crafted in 3-d and it's a shame that a scan does not do it true justice.

The second is a Past Master's jewel of Loggia Italia (No. 2687), warranted in 1897. I seem to recall that both Lodges work in their respective languages - must make it fun if you're their visiting Grand Officer....

Kind regards to all,

WM5806

[attachmentid=25902] [attachmentid=25903]

Some jewels from Columbia Lodge (no. 4682) which meets in Acassuso, Buenos Aires, Argentine Republic, but received its warrant from the United Grand Lodge of England in 1924. It must have been quite a wealthy Lodge as the Past Master's and Treasurer's jewels are made of 9ct gold.

[attachmentid=26256][attachmentid=26257][attachmentid=26258]

Some jewels from Columbia Lodge (no. 4682) which meets in Acassuso, Buenos Aires, Argentine Republic, but received its warrant from the United Grand Lodge of England in 1924. It must have been quite a wealthy Lodge as the Past Master's and Treasurer's jewels are made of 9ct gold.

I find it rather odd that all three of these jewels have a popular version of the United States eagle on them. This particular eagle was widely used in older times and not so much today.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

I find it rather odd that all three of these jewels have a popular version of the United States eagle on them. This particular eagle was widely used in older times and not so much today.

Not only that, but there's also an allusion to the Stars and Stripes behind the eagle.

Any ideas, anyone?

Another 'dual-nationality' lodge: the Anglo American Lodge (no. 2191), formed in 1887, 'with the view to drawing closer together the bonds of Masonic Union existing between the two countries' (Mendoza H., Serendipity, 1995).

[attachmentid=26277]

Hi WM ...I just noticed that the Italian Jewel in Post #1 is missing the Kings Crown over the shield ... wouldn't that make it post war ?

I presume you mean on the Italian flag, Mike? Good point - not sure about that - the jewel illustrated is for their 66th Worshipful Master, for the years 1964-65, which is just about legible on the pic. Not sure if they modified the flag for the jewel after the war....

I shall try to find an example of a pre-war jewel from this Lodge.

WM5806

Mike

Pictured below is the presentation jewel for the Consecrating Master. By virtue of that, it must have been made around or just after 1897.

You can see that there is no crown on the Italian flag:

[attachmentid=26829]

Perhaps some one more erudite than I might be able to inform us why?

WM5806

The first one missing I can understand (1960's) ...but that older Jewel , that's really strange.Vittorio Emanuele was in power so , I wonder if there was something political going on with that one

(had to edit this , I had the Kings name reversed ..)

Edited by Mike

The first one missing I can understand (1960's) ...but that older Jewel , that's really strange. Eman. Vittorio was in power so , I wonder if there was something political going on with that one

I know very little about Italian political history, and even less about this Lodge's history. However, there are few references to it on the WWW:

Loggia Italia No. 2687 E.C. was consecrated on 17 March 1898 in London (at the Cecil Hotel, the Strand). Sometime after its consecration, the date is not recorded, Loggia Italia was presented with a sword belonging to Giuseppe Garibaldi, Past Grand Master -1864- of the Grand Orient of Italy, used by him at ceremonial meetings. This sword is now lodged with the Library and Museum at Grand Lodge and is displayed at special occasions in front of the reigning Master at the top table. The Lodge works an Italian translation of the Emulation Ritual. (from http://users.senet.com.au/~frankis/ldv238/italianlodges.htm).

Perhaps the Lodge was set up by Italian political exiles, not unlike the Huguenots who settled in London a century or so earlier? If that was the case, then they may have only selectively adopted parts of their country's emblems for their own use?

Is there an Italian expert out there?

WM5806

Edited by wm5806

Guest Rick Research

A crown over the shield of Savoy (blue with a white + cross) would have indicated a military banner. That flag without the crown over the shield (as here) was used as a mercantile marine ensign under the Monarchy.

The 1960s badge shows a shield that is red with a white + : compare with the earlier one for the House of Savoy.

• 3 weeks later...

[attachmentid=28937]

America Lodge No 3368 made all the diginitaries present at the consecration of the Lodge [in 1909] honorary members.

The America Lodge was originally founded for Americans living in London to practice Freemasonry under the English constitution. In 1937, however, the bye-laws were changed to admit anyone with a connection or affiliation with the United States of America.

Perhaps the Lodge was set up by Italian political exiles, not unlike the Huguenots who settled in London a century or so earlier? If that was the case, then they may have only selectively adopted parts of their country's emblems for their own use?

Is there an Italian expert out there?

WM5806

The Italia Lodge was founded by first and second-generation Italian immigrants in London who had become Worshipful Masters of other lodges.

The five pointed star on the shield is representative of the Five Points of Fellowship and the rosette is that which appears on the Master Mason badge.

The motto 'UNITATE FORTIOR' translates as 'unity and strength'.

The Past Masters Jewels each have a 'unique' Latin number at the top of their jewel which translates as the number of 'that' Past Master , ie - The Latin number 'TRIGESIMUS SEXTUS' translates as 'thirty-six', referring to the jewel's recipient as thirty-sixth Worshipful Master of the Lodge, or as in the one here 'SEXAGESIMUS SEXTUS' was number 'sixty-six'.

Edited by Humber