Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Graf

FAKE BULGARIAN ORDERS ON THE MARKET

On 06/11/2017 at 22:56, Graf said:

Such Cross in an original box can have a price tag 900-1000$

Lost it for about 1025... :(

Wow, Is the base silver at all? Looks cheap as well. 

And what about this number (circled)? What is that doing there? 

Base looks like plated metal (bronze or copper alloy). 

Number is there to make it look legitimate, seller said 'the number is there, it must be authentic'. Problem is that number should be on the pin, not on the base.

This is actually very convincing fake, even enamel looks real...until you stick a pin into it.

Be very careful!!!

That is a good picture.

Who did the needle test? The Dealers are very reluctant to perform such a test

I recently saw a nice Military Star on German online dealer. I requested a test he never replied again.The Star looked very good, however few things bothered me Notice It has a number on the pin(which is there to deceive) look the finish on the silast picture ..also the letters look very thin..plus the  red enamel has no any structure/features underneath

The Numbers do not have to convince us about the item originality .The fakers know about them and they stamp the Stars to make the look good.

There is no exact information exactly wht those numbers do mean Badge number, Worker Number ????

Those number are present on some of the Stars, however not on all of them

5_bz_1_1.jpg

5_bz_1_2a.jpg

5_bz_1_3.jpg

5_bz_1_3b.jpg

5_bz_1_3c.jpg

This 1st class star is certainly a fake.

Here are photos of real number on the pin, see how sloppy it is executed on the fake one.

MilMerit_2cl_Stamp.jpg

P1290087.JPG

On 11/6/2017 at 02:54, Graf said:

A prototype/demonstration Cross was sold in 2010 on XV Auction of La Galerie Numiqmatique 

ORDER OF SAINT CYRIL AND METHODIUS

A manufacturer's demonstration badge. Reverse of this very rare order in bronze gilt and one-side enameled, center with enamel painting, dim. 60 x 60 mm. In perfect condition.I

Price 200 EURO plus com

Graf

7368558_1_x.jpg

Graf, I found something interesting - a star with identical cross and the same crowned K monogram was offered  by Liverpool Medals in the past.

Their description:

'0rder of Cyril and methodius Grand Cross breast star , very unusual star the centre in the form of
the sash badge with crowned K in centre, excellent qaulity and condition, rare'

Bulgaria_K&M-Star.jpg

Edited by new world

Hi New World,

Good Job.

922F mentioned this Star on Liverpool medals in posts#191 and #193 and stated that he could not relocate this picture. Now we have the picture.

The only question is to be able to find out the exact purpose of those Star and badge ..or to accept what is already known and speculated

I just read those 2 posts and it makes sense: Russian immigrants, society of Konstantin - that's what K stands for and crown is for him being a nobility. I just don't understand why they used design of Bulgarian order for this society.

BTW, this Mr Goodwin that is mentioned by 922F - eMedals currently has his collection and they've been selling items from it for some time.

Something interesting happened few years ago (2010):

Bulgarian collector donated original dies/stamps for making some high level Bulgarian awards to a National History Museum in Bulgaria.

The tools donated amounted to 146 pieces and were from Rothe and Nefe, well known legitimate makers of Bulgarian awards. They covered award variations from Knyaz Alexander to Tsar Boris.

My question is - if this equipment was in private hands until 2010, was it ever used for making awards? If so, how many were made? What's worrying is that awards made on such equipment would be very difficult, if not impossible to tell apart from original period made awards, unless they don't do enamel work correctly.

Specific awards included:

1. Cyril and Methodius:

- Full set of Grand Collar,

- Full set of Grand Cross,

- Miniatures

2. Saint Alexander:

- Grand Cross,

- 2nd class,

- Lower classes

3. Civil Merit:

- Grand Cross Knyaz issue,

- Lower classes

4. Military Merit

- various classes

5. Miscellaneous awards, badges (Red Cross, etc.), monograms.

Photos of some of tools donated are attached. You can clearly see C&M tools in the photos. 

kolecsiia.JPG

kolekciq.JPG

This Independence Cross looks like a crude copy - details are lacking, makers stamp unreadable, pitted surface.

IC_1.jpg

IC_2.jpg