News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FAKE BULGARIAN ORDERS ON THE MARKET

Techically hard enamel is not that complex to do if one has the equipment (it involves a stove to reach proper temperature for enamel powder to bake).

I suspect dark area on the edge is result of chemical reaction between metal, enamel and air, meaning the fakers didn't get the process down completely or didn't use correct materials.

Edited by new world

Hi,

It is interisting pont about the black line However it is still scary because th fakers are still around and we have to be on guard

Here are more pictures of the Fake Republican Commander

Even the Wreath which looked good at first glance is a Fake. When compared with two original Wreaths Large and Small Model it is clearly different

Even the metal is different It is neither nicely gilded or silvered.

Also am listing a picture of the dimmension of the cross

In general the whole cross as one of the memmbers noticed looks quite anemic

Graf

This is scary development.

Until now there were no decent fakes of mid and low level Bulgarian awards, only high classes and stars.

It looks like fakers are moving downstream, so watch out!

Edited by new world

• 4 months later...

ALERT FAKE GRAND CROSS STAR OF THE ORDER FOR CIVIL MERIT ON EBAY

This Star is Fake

-very bad quality

--the red and white enamel is modern soft type.

- the letters are very poorly defined and very easily rubbed of

-the gilding is very poorly defined

This Type of fake Stars were sold 2-3 years ago on EBAY by dishonest Bulgarian dealer as originals, but they are Fakes

This Particular Star -someone tried to age it by causing damages and then bad repairs.

Be careful, because some of those Stars appear for sale by dealers around the world.

Look the pictures

Graf

Very similar Military Merit Grand Cross and Grand Officer stars appeared 2-3 years ago, as Graf reports. Recent sales included one of these fake Grand Commander stars with a blundered/unreadable mark on the pin.

At the Moment there is one more Fake Star on the market, which i detected on Liverpool Medals Site.

It is part of a Set of Grand Officer Class of the Order for Civil Merit -1st Model .

The Cross with the princely crown is Original, however the Star is a Fake an if you look very closely It has the same features as the Star I listed above, only it is Grand Officer Star.

Graf

• 4 weeks later...

At the Moment there is one more Fake Star on the market, which i detected on Liverpool Medals Site.

It is part of a Set of Grand Officer Class of the Order for Civil Merit -1st Model .

The Cross with the princely crown is Original, however the Star is a Fake an if you look very closely It has the same features as the Star I listed above, only it is Grand Officer Star.

Graf

That "set" with fake star has been selling at Liverpool Medals for few years. Box is also not original, someone tried to convert a box from completely different award (not Bulgarian) to increase the value of this "set".

I alerted the dealer about the star/box and explained what's wrong with the award, but they did nothing and continue to sell it. It's been at least TWO years... so sad that dealer knowingly sells fakes.

Edited by new world

• 2 months later...

Dear Members,

i have more news for you.

Recently I got hold of a 1st Class Order of St Alexander with swords above the Cross

Under a good inspection i found the Cross to be OK, however The red enamel was bothering me.

I did a "needle Test' of the enamel and i found out it is soft.

I decided to open the central medallion The red enamel turned to be modern fake one

It is some kind of plastic glued to a metal like piece (disc)

Someone has "upgraded" the Cross from a Commander to a 1st Class

Lucky for me i had a correct original red enamel medallion fro the same period and i reversed the damage by converting the Cross to a Commander as it used to be

Pictures provided

Be alert The Problem with the Bulgarian Fake Orders is still existing

Graf

What a find!   Looks like fakers took a rest before recommencing their efforts.  Hope that you didn't get burned too badly and happy that you had the part to restore the badge.   Looks like a snap connector for attaching badge to the sash??

About 3-4 years ago Kassia & friends had 3 or 4 lst class sets with swords on ring...at least one sold by a French dealer [name unknown to me] to a British dealer in the Midlands who passed it on to some 'lucky' person.  The star of that set may have been good but badge looked bad + no sash or case.   Some of these sets had infulae between the crown and cross and some did not-- ''rare variations'!!

In my experience, before fakers started [maybe about 2009?] such sets appeared on the foreign [non-Bulgaria] market very infrequently, maybe one in 15 years, usually ex-Germany.  Just remember 2 or 3 with swords on ring in Klenau lists in the 1970s-80s, later resold about 2007 --  one may have been in G. Tammann's collection but sold or traded off before UBS auction [2008].   Same for St Alexander lst class with swords in middle--Tammann had 2 bought via Klenau.  These were sold via UBS.    Kassia had several of them without sashes or cases 3-4 years ago.

Hi 922F,

I was lucky, because this Cross was bought for me as a present by another collector because I managed to salvage a very rare grouping being destroyed by a not honest Dealer. Pure accident find by me, however very important We managed to restore the Grouping to the initial, I hope, Glory.

I know the names of the French and the British Dealers. They used to be honest persons. I still suspect they did not know about the "improvements" of the Orders. Simply they bought them very cheap from the fakers or their agents ant made some profit by re-selling them

New World listed one of the Sets of 2nd Class of Order for Civil Merit, with a fake Star (the enamel is entirely new soft one) which is still on sale on the British dealer site. ( look listing from 21 November 2014)

On few occasions I confronted them however they denied any knowledge, even the French dealer trid to convince me that a Civil Merit Star with missing oak leaves branches is a "very rare" variation. This guy is in Paris.

The problem is that the Bulgarian Orders became very popular among the collectors and the demand, especially for high Classes, increased.

Also the fakers do not have any interest to generate low Classes due to the prices

Please excuse my ignorance however i do not know who G.Tammann and Kassia are.

Best

Graf

Edited by Graf

Hello Graf,

Perhaps eBay 321659834982 is another 'upgrade'--note the peeling/damaged red enamel above St.... in central front motto.   Another lst class on neck ribbon!!

Gustav Tammann built an outstanding collection from the early 1970s until about 2007 sold by UBS in November 2008.  The catalog is now used as reference work.  He had two original first class St Alexander with swords sets awarded to German generals in 1916-7  sold in that auction but his first class swords on ring set presented to an Austrian general was sold or traded before that auction.

Kassia was an eBay seller from Bulgaria no longer active....some say with bad high grade things for sale.

Any chance to see an image of the grouping you saved?   I am always interested in seeing such wonderful things.

Hi 922F,

I know Kassia His real name is Victor and he had few shops on EBay . he is responsible for few fake or "improved/converted" Orders on the market

He sold few "improved" Sets to a French dealer in Paris and Les from Liverpool medals Few  have been sold on  Bogdan Stamboliou Auctions

All of them have some of the parts made from a soft enamel or  plastic material The central red enamel looks dull and with dark spots of imperfections  not like the old original glass enamel -nice and clear with a very nice depth

Regarding the Grouping and the whole story you can read

A Rare EK1 with a latch lock of the pin by AWS
    Started By Graf, Jan 15 2012 01:12

Bestregards

Graf

• 1 year later...

Suspected Fake Star of Order of St Alexander on the Market

It is The 1st Model of the 1st Class of the Order of St Alexander Russian made.

It was sold recently on German Ebay.

Look the central medallion -very rough made

The marking on the back is wrong

Regards

Graf

al2.JPG

al1.JPG

al4.JPG

closer look of the marks

al5.JPG

al5.JPG

The star looks very suspicious.

On 11/20/2014 at 20:20, new world said:

That "set" with fake star has been selling at Liverpool Medals for few years. Box is also not original, someone tried to convert a box from completely different award (not Bulgarian) to increase the value of this "set".

I alerted the dealer about the star/box and explained what's wrong with the award, but they did nothing and continue to sell it. It's been at least TWO years... so sad that dealer knowingly sells fakes.

L23106-D1.jpg

that Set of Grand Officer Class of the Order for Civil Merit -1st Model with fake star is now marked Out of Stock at Liverpoolmedals. I am afraid someone bought it...

• 3 months later...

This Star is on, currently on Ebay.de (Germany

II my opinion is fake

Very questionable finish - too many defects for a 1st Class Star from this Maker The enamel lloks dull and not very well defined -signs for a new soft type one The pin system is not correct

You opinion is needed. I might be wrong, but I would not buy it

Look the details very rough finish  It is worry because they use this Famous maker marks

+Graf

mlsrar3.JPG

mlstar1.JPG

mlwtar.JPG

BTW The Seller claims that is from his Granddad collection  and he does not have any knowledge about it ??!!!!

Graf

Hello Graf,

Has this star been removed from eBay?  I cannot find it.  Your defect notes seem correct especially rough finish, motto letters, star burst cut details and so on.  It appears that the Schwerdtner plaque is not similar to usual ones.  I believe that you know the differences.  If not, please send me a PM [do not want to list them here].

What about ebayde 131937236792?  Wrong color motto ring, black edges......   

Edited by 922F

Hi 922F.

The Star is for sale on Ebay.de The German site of Ebay

The Title is in English

RARE! BULGARIA ORDER OF MILITARY MERIT STAR

Please copy the title and go to Ebay Germany - Ebay.de and Paste the title in the search box/bar

The Seller does not accept returns He is from Hungary

Graf

HI 922F,

Glad you found it and you agree with my points.

Sorry i missed last part of your post regarding the item  131937236792 on Ebay.de

I saw it In my opinion is OK.  Only the War Decoration is missing The edges are not as black as i have seen on some fakes See the fake Commander on top of this page.

There are some marks on the swords on the obverse of this 1st Class Cross It looks they tried to mask them. It means they were aware that the Decoration is missing.

Graf

mlq.JPG

mlq1.JPG