News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. Andrew for Sultan

JapanX

Another (for other example see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/55148-order-and-medal-from-collection-of-state-historical-museum-in-moscow/) Order of St. Andrew the First-Called with Diamonds.

This one was send by Alexander II to Süleymân I after the end of Crymean War.

Currently in the collection of Topkapi Saray Museum in Istanbul.

Dimensions

Height 120mm

Width 80 mm

Gold, dimonds, rubies and enamel...

Thanks to our colleague Mitya Ivanov we have an opportunity to examine this beatiful and unique specimen.

Edited by JapanX

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick,

very nice pictures of this very rare non Christian version of the order of St Andrew. The only other one I saw, was the St. Andrew given to the Japanese fleet admiral prince Fushimi. This St. Andrew is without diamonds and has no initial of the Tsar in the middle, actually it has a natural fat belly. The set is exhibited on the battleship Mikasa in Japan. The princ was lt. commander on the Mikasa under admiral Togo during the famous battle of Tsushima (Russo-Japanese war). The next time I visit the Mikasa I will try to make pictures of the set.

Pieter

Another St Andrew with diamonds from collection of Kremlin Museum

Wow. All that "ice". Amazing work and may I say, more difficult to achieve than just buying the latest output from the mines and putting them in settings. Diamonds can appear to be all the same in clearness and brightness, but all stones can be graded by cut, carat, color and clarity.

It is these last two catagories that are really important here so that in the field of diamonds, one of the stones doesn't look "dirty" or more blue or gray than the others.

Thanks for posting. Let me know when you can borrow them for a while for you, and your friends :whistle: to examine closely. I would like to see the construction and maker-marks on these beauties.

Let me know when you can borrow them for a while for you, and your friends :whistle: to examine closely. I would like to see the construction and maker-marks on these beauties.

Hmmm...

State Historical Museum offered me a job once :whistle: :lol:

Another (for other example see http://gmic.co.uk/in...seum-in-moscow/) Order of St. Andrew the First-Called with Diamonds.

This one was send by Alexander II to Süleymân I after the end of Crymean War.

Currently in the collection of Topkapi Saray Museum in Istanbul.

Dimensions

Height 120mm

Width 80 mm

Gold, dimonds, rubies and enamel...

Thanks to our colleague Mitya Ivanov we have an opportunity to examine this beatiful and unique specimen.

Not Sultan Süleymân I. The painting is of Suleiman the Magnificent, died 1566. Alexander II could have given a St. Andrew to any of the following sultans, none named Suleiman.

Abdülmecid I

TANZİMÂTÇI

(The Strong Reformist or

The Advocate of Reorganization)

GHAZI (The Warrior) 80px-Sultan_Abdulmecid_Pera_Museum_3_b.j 1 July 1839 25 June 1861 80px-Tughra_of_Abd%C3%BClmecid_I.JPG

32 Abdülaziz I

BAHTSIZ (The Unfortunate)

ŞEHÎD (Shāhīd) 80px-Sultan_Abdulaziz_I.JPG 25 June 1861 30 May 1876 80px-Tughra_of_Abd%C3%BClaziz.JPG

33 Mehmed Murad V 80px-Murad_V_%28cropped%29.JPG 30 May 1876 31 August 1876 80px-Tughra_of_Murad_V.JPG

34 Abdülhamid II

Ulû Sultân Abd ūl-Hāmīd Khan

(The Sublime Khan) 80px-Ahamid.jpg 31 August 1876 27 April 1909

Yep, my mistake Mark.

Sorry about that.

Most likely it was Abdulmecid I (a.k.a Abdul Mejid I).

Wrong search and wrong wiki page :lol:

Hope I didn't ruined your day ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know when you can borrow them for a while for you, and your friends :whistle: to examine closely. I would like to see the construction and maker-marks on these beauties.

as requested :whistle:

Same piece that we saw in post #12, but now with reverse ;)

It is believed that this one was manufactured around 1800.

Obverse

Edited by JapanX