News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. Andrew for Sultan

JapanX

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one was sold by Christy for $179,967 on November 25, 2003.

Initial estimate was $33,940 - $50,910 :lol:

Here comes the description from this auction house.

St. Petersburg, circa 1850

The Order with cross, enamelled en champlevé with the Saint on blue ground with the initials S[anctus] A[ndreas] P[atronomus] R[ussiae] at the terminals, the crowned double-headed eagle profusely encrusted with pastes, the reverse chased and engraved to simulate feathers; the Badge with central enamelled double-headed eagle surrounded by the russian motto 'For Faith and Loyalty' on blue enamel ground, within a circular border and sunburst set with pastes, both apparently unmarked the Badge 4¾ in. (11.8cm.) high; the Star 4 3/8in. (11cm.) diam.

Unfortunately the photo are not very clear, but I was lucky enough to find this nice photo of the badge ;)

That's entertaining!

Shortly after posting piece in posts # 32 and # 33 I looked through May catalogue of Morton&Eden (missed this one ;))

http://www.mortonandeden.com/pdfcats/56web.pdf

What a surprise!

Same piece is listed under number 2 (only now it has all stones in place ;))

Last time I heard about this piece it was 2009 :whistle:

Indeed the ways of God are inscrutable! :lol:

P.S. Looks like it was sold for 85 000 pounds sterling ...