News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Repairing a Broken Scabbard

Brian

Lucky guess! :) Yes, it's a repro. scabbard for my Brown Bess, used on the now rare occasion when I portray an enlisted swine at an 1812 re-enactment, rather than one of the gilded lily officers. And I suppose I'll now actually have to go ahead and do the repair, since you've called me on it. :(

It won't happen much before winter but when it does I'll try to remember to take photos. Thanks for the offer of the plastic too. I'll keep it in mind.

Sincerely,

Peter

• 2 years later...

What do you recommend for a leather scabbard whose wooden interior has broken in twain but whose outer leather shell is mostly intact? It seems to me that to repair it I will have to remove all the stitching and the leather sheath entirely, which I'm not keen to do.

Hello callumm,

Welcome to the forum, good to see more Canadians on board.

Rule of thumb; if in doubt, don't mess with it. If on the other hand you decided to proceed you may very well have to remove the leather but make sire you have a good leather worker in mind who can restitch the leather. I have one such scabbard and as long as I take care when replacing the blade into the scabbard it looks just fine, so unless you are insistant upon repariing the wooden interior then be happy with the way it is.

What sword or bayonet is it?

Regards

Brian