News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Robert -

I'll have a look at my Husken when I get home (which editon is the number from, since they changed with the new one?).

Some of it is feel, unfortunately. Fakes I have seen are usually flatter, with originals being slightly domed. The rest is the usual materials, finish and pin attachment. I've seen a lot of blue bordered Type II fakes. They usually have a floppy pin. J.R. Cone's book on TR enamels is a good starting point.

I'll get back about the Husken reference.

By the way, here's a photo of an NSF shoe depot in Berlin in 1940. Note the wall plaque!

Stehen, Nice photos. Happy people. Don, thanks for showing your photos. Any idea what badge the boy in the center of the group photo is wearing? The shoes appear used, no? WHW donations maybe? My Heerin-Husken edition is 1997 page 143 image 9118g. Talk Soon. Thank you. Robert

• Replies 90
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shot of the NSF depot Stephen, I'd like to see one of those wall hangings myself. Notice the stylised Swastika used on it.

Robert,

Hard to say for sure because of the light, but I'm pretty sure it's an enamelled DJ badge. What do you think?

Cheers

Don

Don is absolutely right. It's a DJ badge. He's the right age (10-14), except they were supposed to be worn on the pocket, not kerchief.

Good eye guys, I also think that his Mother and older sister are in this photo. First row second from left and second row far right. Also, is that an organizational brooch being worn by the woman in the second row third from the right? Thanks for posting the photos. This is not part of my collecting field.........yet. Take care Robert

Is this the badge you are talking about Robert? It looks like what the dealers tend to call a sympathiser broach, but you often see these things being worn by these types of groups & I suspect that there is more to them than just sympathiser broaches.

Collecting pictures can be as addictive as collecting the badges themselves & just as expensive. I've been known to pay more for a rare image of a badge being worn than it would cost for the badge itself :speechless1:

Sometimes the details can be amazing, for instance the original of that group shot above is only 3 inches long......

Cheers

Don

Is this the badge you are talking about Robert? It looks like what the dealers tend to call a sympathiser broach, but you often see these things being worn by these types of groups & I suspect that there is more to them than just sympathiser broaches.

Collecting pictures can be as addictive as collecting the badges themselves & just as expensive. I've been known to pay more for a rare image of a badge being worn than it would cost for the badge itself :speechless1:

Sometimes the details can be amazing, for instance the original of that group shot above is only 3 inches long......

Cheers

Don

Don, yes, that's the one. I am trying to remember what exactly the symbol means. I can't recall at the moment. As for photos, my consist only of ID's and membership books I'm afaid. No help from my WHW reference book. Maybe another member will know. Period photos make great conversation pieces. Robert :beer:

Cheers

Don

Don, I looked thru Husken 1997 page 229 Item F801e. Volksbund der Deutschen in Ungarn. I can't tell from the photo if the badge has any writing on the outside but I think the symbol is the same. Could be wrong though...happens more often than not. Robert

Cheers

Don

I would bet dollars to donuts that it is this badge - the Deutscher Turnverband (German Gymnastics Association) membership badge. She looks like a healthy girl.

Edited by Gold Party Pin Guy

I would bet dollars to donuts that it is this badge - the Deutscher Turnverband (German Gymnastics Association) membership badge. She looks like a healthy girl. Stephen, Yes she does but the symbol of her badge doesn't reach the outside edge of the badge like the Turnfest does. You bet the dollars and I'll bet the donuts. This is a great thread. A tad off topic from time to time but full of interesting details don't you think? I can't wait to hear Don's imput on what badge he thinks she is wearing. Take Care Robert

"Stephen, Yes she does but the symbol of her badge doesn't reach the outside edge of the badge like the Turnfest does."

Hi Robert,

I noticed that, but there were a lot of variations of this badge for the DT, so one without an outer edge or rim is highly likely. The DT wasn't an NS-controlled organization, so there wasn't the same standardization of insignia. I think I can see the faintest hint of a smaller swastika's arms inside the larger sunwheel cross. Membership in the DT as well as the NSF is a fair bet, but I may lose a donut.

You're right - I like broader discussions because so much "expert" knowledge tends to be compartmentalized. (The dagger guys don't know their badges, and the badges guys don't know their helmets, and the helmet guys... etc.).

I dug out the picture this evening, those other scans were taken over a year ago before I learnt how to tweak the settings. This is the badge done at a higher res, can't go any higher without loosing definition. No bad considering it can't be seen with th naked eye with the picture in your hand.....

Cheers

Don

I dug out the picture this evening, those other scans were taken over a year ago before I learnt how to tweak the settings. This is the badge done at a higher res, can't go any higher without loosing definition. No bad considering it can't be seen with th naked eye with the picture in your hand.....

Cheers

Don

Don, Pretty amazing technology we have now. Ungarn? Turnfest? Or maybe womens' costume jewelry. That is a runic symbol, no? Maybe some other members will take a look an offer an opinion. This thread and my invitation is greatly appreciated by me at least. You posted your Type I in April of last year w/o response. I posted mine last Friday and we are still here a week later. This is great. Just positive discourse between collectors. For me that is what it's all about. Don, any ideas of what the badge in question might be? Robert

Just a standard mobile swas. generally catalogued, as Don said, as sympathisers broaches. This one came with a load of tinnies.

Pete

Pete, This makes sense. No turnfest, no Ungarn. Sympathizer broach. Stephen....no dollars or doughnuts. Ha Ha have a nice weekend. Robert :beer: