News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kaffrarian Rifles trio (Buffalo Volunteer Rifles)

The reasons for buying this trio were for the engraving on the Star and the medals being mounted and worn with the BWM reverse to the front. An added bonus being I believe I got a bargain.

Born August 1895 in East London, Cape Province, this man served from 25.8.14, leaving for German South West Africa on 20th September 1914. His record shows he was hopitalised in the Luderitzbucht hospital (No. 3 General Hospital?) in Feb. 1915 but doesn't state the reason why. He appears to have been discharged from the 5th KR on 7.6.15.

As I know little to nothing of what went on in GSWA can anyone tell me if they were still fighting in or around Luderitzbucht in Feb 1915?

Below a photo of the engraving on his renamed 14-15 Star and the group mounted as worn. My apologies for the poor quality photos.

Tony

Tony

The book by Francis L Coleman, 'The Kaffrarian Rifles 1876-1986', has a chapter on the role played by the KR in both GSWA and the Rebellion in South Africa. It is likely that your man saw no action at all. The South African National Defence Force Archives in Pretoria will be unhelpful and usually have only a single card with minimal information as a record for men who served in GSWA.

Regards

Brett

Hello Brett,

So it’s quite possible he was operated on in hospital for something like varicose veins or an in growing toenail and released a few months later as unfit for service.

I think I have his entire military record which as you say, doesn’t consist of much, it really only the confirms his medal entitlement and stay in Luderitzbucht. I also have a copy of the 5th KR medal roll and his death certificate from 1947.

After looking at his card again there's a word that looks like varicocele so varicose veins wasn't that far off. After googling varicocele, all I can say is that it must have been painful.

Tony

P.S.: I've just noticed the person kind enough to point me in the right direction for research is now a member here. Thanks again and it's good to see you here Brian.

Edited by Tony