News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Late Taiwan leader Chiang's Order of Blue Sky and White Sun going on block

JPL

Well, I have to eat my words ...

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20130708000094&cid=1303

Chiang Kai-shek's medal auctioned for almost US$1m

An honorary medal awarded to the late Chiang Kai-shek, former president of the Republic of China (Taiwan), was sold to an overseas buyer by a Hong Kong-based auction house for US$928,500, reports our sister newspaper Want Daily.

Created first in 1929, the Order of Blue Sky and White Sun is the second highest military award of the Republic of China, following the Order of National Glory. It is dedicated to soldiers for "outstanding contributions to national security under foreign invasion." As of 2013, there were 210 recipients of the medal by 2013. Among those recipients, four are from the United States, including General Joseph W Stillwell, Claire Lee Chennault, Albert C Wedemeyer and George C Marshall.

In 1931, Chiang Kai-shek was awarded the Order of Blue Sky and White Sun for unifying China as the commander of the Northern Expedition Army. Originally, the Order of the Blue Sky and White Sun is marked with a number on the back, but this particular medal is without a number, instead replaced by the characters for "distinguished." The medal was put up for auction last year, but it went without bids after Taiwan's defense ministry questioned its authenticity.

The Taiwanese authority believes that the medal was buried with Chiang Kai-shek after the late president passed away in 1975. Anna Lee, vice chairman of Spink China — the auction house responsible for selling the medal — stated that it was originally found in an antique store in Taipei. After being hired by Spink China to appraise the medal, Chuk Hong-ming, a Taiwanese historian, declared that it is indeed the real thing. As the author of a book about the medal, Chuk stated that the buyer made the right choice in spending nearly US$1 million to acquire the piece.Well, I have to eat my words ...

Edited by drclaw

• Replies 160
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Sky and White Sun was described in the Spink catalogue as "attributed to" Chiang Kai-shek which I agree is an accurate description in the absence of better documentary evidence.

I'd say the same description would apply to that service cap. The letter is simply "heresay" evidence (e.g. I heard it from a Third Party who said the hat is Chiang Kai-shek's).

As for evidence that might prove something as "owned by" an individual, I'm thinking ...

* original award certificate

* offered by descendants or estate with strong corroborating evidence

* original inventory manifest, e.g. an Allied officer recording to contents of Mussolini's palace listing his decorations

* other documentary evidence placing a particular medal with a particular individual

Any others?

It is a shame that all of his personal decorations seem to have been scattered to the winds.

There is a set of the order in the military museum in Taipei that has the blue enamel scattered all over the display. I am not sure if that is actually Chiang's or not as there are many items belonging to him that are displayed.

I'd say the same description would apply to that service cap. The letter is simply "heresay" evidence (e.g. I heard it from a Third Party who said the hat is Chiang Kai-shek's).

20k is still a lot of money for a vague letter. How I see it, the letter for the hat/epaulettes does say it was custom made and given by Madame Chiang with the President's blessing, but no proof if he actually wore it or even owned it.

I bought a presentation medal on auction that the auctioneer stated belonged to well known US general and the owner was going to get me a letter from the granddaughter stating this, nothing so far. Other than that, I only put the money on the medal and not the statement itself.

I thought that $1 million was a lot of money for an "attributed to" Chiang Kai-shek medal. But I was wrong ...

Awhile ago, I was looking at an unusual Temple of Azure Clouds (Biyun Temple) grand cordon set that a certain auction house asserted was "given to a French airforce lieutenant in China".

I asked the auction house what documentary evidence they had to back their claim. Their response: "It was given to a French airforce lieutenant in China". :lol:

Edited by drclaw