News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WILLIAM J ALLEN, East Africa Intelligence Dept

Hello from South Africa

I have recently received a request from a man who is currently writing the history of the men from Neath (South Wales) in the Great War, and the core of the book will be the obituaries of the men on the memorial in Neath. By far and away the most exotic name on the memorial is that of William J Allen, East Africa Intelligence Department.

He entered theatre 4A on 16th October 1914, and then had service as Cpl Number 480 East African Mounted Rifles, the Ross Scouts and ultimately a Hon. Lt in the East Africa Intelligence Department, with whom he was killed working with the South African Cape Corps at the Rufij River (Kibongo) in 1916.

I did find a few documents on him at the SADF archive but wondered whether anyone could add any further details on this man.

Any help would be appreciated.

Audrey

rhino.research@icon.co.za

• 4 months later...