News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The interesting thing is that I have not until now been able to get any info on Tiekenhenrich, but the date of his award is the same as Stadel's, 3.3.41, so he almost certainly was in the same Kampfgeschwader Greif.

Can Francois Saez or anyone else confirm this?

Stan

Hi Stan,

Ditto to the above, I'd love to see some closeups of your Ehrenbecher.

Herewith the requested close-ups. It is of course a WW1 Goblet and is the type made of silver. From the close-ups you will see the hallmarks which include the Prussian Crown which dates it as pre- November 1918.

I bought around 10 years ago during a business trip to Germany. My wife wants me to clean it but I just wipe it over with a silver cloth occassionally.

Stan

would be interested to see the salver, were did you find it? Great rarity.

Warlord,

I'll post photos of the salver on a new thread in a couple of days. In actual fact you have seen this salver before when I visited you last year.

Stan

Small Update****

I was trying to research further and came across some info on P/O JH Pickering...

He was a BoB veteran and was shot down several times.

P/O J.H.T.Pickering of No 66 Squadron was rescued unhurt out of the sea off Aldeburgh on the 30th of August 1940 after being shot down in his Spitfire I (R6715) by return fire from a Do 17 at 17:00hrs.

P/O J.H.T.Pickering was injured on the 11th of October 1940 when Spitfire I (X4052) was shot down by Oberst W. M?lders of JG 51 in a Bf 109 over Canterbury at 11:15hrs.

Later KIA. PICKERING, P/O J. H. T. 80821 British. 66 Squadron. Killed February 15th 1942

Thanks again to everyone's contributions and comments. If you hear of or see any docs to Otto Stadel, please let me know.

Rich :cheers:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2717403

Commonwealth War Graves gives a slightly later date. It appears he was killed in a training accident. Ironic that he was taken off ops, probably as a break, and sent as an instructor.

Wouldn't be too far to go over to Glamorganshire, or perhaps some Gentleman lives close by?

Interestingly enough, the grave next to his, and with the same date of death, is that of an Aircraftswoman

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2717411

Since there are 53 burials, his grave should be about halfway back. I can't locate a cemetery map, but I think C. 25 is the the right-end grave in the fourth row (by the stone wall). There are three rows of six, and the fourth row contains a foreign grave, which wouldn't be counted in the numbering.

Llantwit Major Cemetery

Edited by Michael Johnson