News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Cross Relief Commemorative Medal 1904-05 and its Suspensions

JapanX

• Replies 125
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Furry beauty ...

Great color on that material!! What do you think it is? Felt?

Yeah, dunno about that ribbon for this medal though! I've seen a lot of these actually, including special member's ribbon, especially woman's since it is so easy to change the original medal! Gotta admit, it is cool though!

Edited by Dieter3

Great color on that material!! What do you think it is? Felt?

Yep, looks (and feels :)) like felt.

Yeah, dunno about that ribbon for this medal though! I've seen a lot of these actually, including special member's ribbon, especially woman's since it is so easy to change the original medal! Gotta admit, it is cool though!

The suspension is made from the same material as medal! (although I won't scratch :lol:)

The ribbon is from the right time period too ;)

• 1 month later...

Looks like somebody might have plated it, I very much doubt it was produced like this, but perhaps there were a few unique ones made for special individuals? You can see what appears to be the bronze corroding through, or perhaps an entirely different alloy! Interesting......

Silver never corrode, it's patinated ;)

And this green thing on obverse (right at the bottom) is not corrosion, but oxidation ;)

Looks "ok" to me.

At least it looks pretty damn old....

But then again I've never had this piece in my hands ....

So at the end it could be nickel, copper or something else ...

Edited by JapanX

What may appear to be bronze corroding through is merely the lighting--or rather a shadow. There is not a hint of bronze anywhere on the medal. Of course, this is an alloy, not pure silver. It is has a silver-color plating, but not a silver plating.

I'm assuming, like Dieter mentioned, that this was produced for special people. But that is merely an assumption.

hi all there has been an identical russo japanese war silver red cross medal sitting on our auction site for around a month here in new zealand, definately silver in colour did not think it was special so didnt bid sold yesterday for 20 nz dollars doh seller also noted "' made of silver not sure of content"" it also had no suspension device

hi all there has been an identical russo japanese war silver red cross medal sitting on our auction site for around a month here in new zealand, definately silver in colour did not think it was special so didnt bid sold yesterday for 20 nz dollars doh seller also noted "' made of silver not sure of content"" it also had no suspension device

Tell me that you saved the pictures ....