News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Helping a Friend Identify Badges

Badge 1 is the Turkish Order of the Medjide. Info. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Medjidie

Badge 2 is the British Order of the Bath

Badge 3 is the French Legion of Honour

Badge 4 is also the British Order of the Bath, a different grade

"Badges 4,5,6" [i think you meant '5,6,7,]- the middle one is definitely the Greek Order of the Redeemer; bottom one may be another grade of the same order; can't see the top one well enough to ID it.

Badge 8 is the Order of the Bath again

If these came as a group they suggest someone who was a high ranking military figure or perhaps a diplomat;

I hope this helps!

Peter

Kalebdad - I am sure that you will be thanking Peter for his research on this extensive set of badges.

For new members - just a few points to consider when you are asking for help.

Firstly, many of our members enjoy tracking items down and have the resources to do so. However, please

remember that it is nice for us to know the reason for the request.

Tell us - are the items yours - or, are you thinking of buying them ? Make sure that the photos are as large

as possible - that they face forwards and, that the details are all visible.

Taking these awards they are a varied selection and valuable - knowing a few of the above details will give

members an incentive.

Peter,

Thanks so much for the information. This will be great help. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

JD

4 is uncertain any chance of a better image (preferably both sides) possibly 2nd Empire Legion d'Honneur Knight, 5 Is Order of the Redeemer (Greece) Otto I issue (1833-63), Officer's breast badge, the last (6) which is a bit of an Afro-Caribbean in the woodpile is the French Order of St. Louis (obsolete 1830). The other orders suggest Crimean War period.

These are quite valuable orders but without knowing the purpose for valuation (I don't want to help someone make a lot of money from Evilbay) this is as far as I am prepared to go.

Paul

4 is uncertain any chance of a better image (preferably both sides) possibly 2nd Empire Legion d'Honneur Knight, 5 Is Order of the Redeemer (Greece) Otto I issue (1833-63), Officer's breast badge, the last (6) which is a bit of an Afro-Caribbean in the woodpile is the French Order of St. Louis (obsolete 1830). The other orders suggest Crimean War period.

These are quite valuable orders but without knowing the purpose for valuation (I don't want to help someone make a lot of money from Evilbay) this is as far as I am prepared to go.

Paul

Paul, Thanks for your information. I am a avid coin collector and a friend of mine brought me her dads collection to organize for her kids. She handed me a box of metals and asked if I knew anything. I use forums for my hobbies..... Knife, Gun and coin collecting and told her I could find something out on these. I am unsure of her intent to keep or sell but I too am not a fan of Evilbay and prefer to do my selling on Forums. I do not think there is much of a sentimental attachment to the metals so I assume she may sell at some point.

Thanks again for the information.

JD

Paul, Thanks for your information. I am a avid coin collector and a friend of mine brought me her dads collection to organize for her kids. She handed me a box of metals and asked if I knew anything. I use forums for my hobbies..... Knife, Gun and coin collecting and told her I could find something out on these. I am unsure of her intent to keep or sell but I too am not a fan of Evilbay and prefer to do my selling on Forums. I do not think there is much of a sentimental attachment to the metals so I assume she may sell at some point.

Thanks again for the information.

JD

JD,

Is there any provenace to these awards it certainly looks as if the majority (if not all the pieces) were awarded to one person. On the Bath badge, the white enamelled cross should be hallmarked on the gold below the suspension, if so what are the marks (date letter is especially important). Also are there any silver British campaign medals included. If so it is quite likely that one or more will be named and therefore put the whole jigsaw together.

Sorry to be a bit testy in the earlier reply but we have seen so many instances when we have helped people with their enquiries and in some cases spent quite a lot of time researching only to see them being offered for sale on E-bay a few days later. If these items were to be sold I would recommend you considering placing them with a UK auction house as a lot (but far from all) of the value is associated with the Bath insignia.

Look forward to receiving more information.

Paul

Paul,

There are many Campain Metals with the lot. I was able to look those up in a book. I will check for names and Hallmarks when I get home. I do believe they were given to one person but I will find out more. Thanks for your help.

JD

Paul

Thanks for the additional details! Orders are not my strongest suit. You're obviously thinking 'military, high rank' for the recipient. One of the world wars I'd assume - Greece is an odd one, I would have thought.

I wondered about a diplomat myself. The most impressive collection of orders I've ever seen, though all lower classes, was a bag of 8 or 10 to the stationmaster at one of the London rail stations -in the late Victorian era. He had one of everything, including Turkish. Presumably every time a head of state arrived by train in London this guy got another gong.

Peter

Paul

Thanks for the additional details! Orders are not my strongest suit. You're obviously thinking 'military, high rank' for the recipient. One of the world wars I'd assume - Greece is an odd one, I would have thought.

I wondered about a diplomat myself. The most impressive collection of orders I've ever seen, though all lower classes, was a bag of 8 or 10 to the stationmaster at one of the London rail stations -in the late Victorian era. He had one of everything, including Turkish. Presumably every time a head of state arrived by train in London this guy got another gong.

Peter

The Otto I Greek Order is not as odd as you think. Many Brits got them, naval officers for the battle of Navarino and several brit officers on the Ionian Islands (which were Brit till 1862) who were involved with the various boundary commissions of the newly independent Greece.

Paul

L.T. Col. H.L. KIRK is the name on the Campaign Metals. It looks like the next one is Captain H.L. Kirk. I will post pictures with inscriptions. BTW it is the intent of my friend to sell these metals at a later date. I am more interested in the history.

Thanks

JD

Maybe in the next millenium this reply might go through. This is the only thing that bugs me with this brilliant forum.

Kirk does not ring a bell in relation to the orders, however when I see the images I will be able to do a bit of digging.

Paul

Paul - from what you have said - did you have a problem with the thread not appearing ?

Unfortunately , with the updates, this does happen. However, at the bottom you will see - in small print -

last autosaved. Press this and a message will comeup. Cancel this and a second 'saved' message should

pop-up. Press this and I find the original message downloads.

Paul - from what you have said - did you have a problem with the thread not appearing ?

Unfortunately , with the updates, this does happen. However, at the bottom you will see - in small print -

last autosaved. Press this and a message will comeup. Cancel this and a second 'saved' message should

pop-up. Press this and I find the original message downloads.

Finally came up on the third attempt. The previous two I did were no problem (perhaps the computer said no). Thanks for the info.

Paul