News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Morocco unknow

gerard974

Mistakenly sometimes IDed as the 1975 Green March Commemorative Medal or a Moroccan Interior Ministry award; Royal Ark [q.v.] says it is the Operation al-Qadr Commemorative Medal: instituted by King Hassan II on 18th January 1983 as a campaign medal. Almost always seen on a solid green ribbon.

922F said "instituted by King Hassan II on 18th January 1983 as a campaign medal"

Which campaign(s) would that be for? Normally, of course, I know all about Morrocan awards [ ;) ] but my brain is in at the cleaners and I can't recall who the Morrocans were fighting in the 1980s. Some Berber nationalist group or... ?

Edited by peter monahan

Campaign involved Royal Moroccan military, economic & political efforts to counter and defeat POLISARIO and Mauretanian claims in the Western Sahara region [former Spanish Sahara]. Two key locales were a seaport -- ad-Dakhla [Villa Cisneros under Spanish rule] -- and a trans-Sahara transit nexus -- al-Argub -- and their surrounding administrative regions. Do not remember how long the campaign lasted or even if it's still on-going but almost certainly most active over several years [late 1970s-mid 1980s?]. Al-Qadr relates to the Islamic 'Night of Power' during the latter part of Ramadan when the first verses of the Koran were revealed to Muhammed. Early on, some major events of the campaign [including planning] occurred during Ramadan.

Edited by 922F

• 4 weeks later...

While I was in Morocco around 1980 working for the King, I helped a dignitary's wife overcome insomnia. The man was so happy that his wife was now able to sleep for the 1st time in 25 years, he gave me his green metal, for he was one of the 350,000 unarmed volunteers that marched into the desert to take back Moroccan land without bloodshed.

Following is a picture of my green metal. I've never seen another picture of one anywhere on the Internet. I hope you enjoy seeing this picture for I am very proud of this metal. It means a lot to me.

Cowboy

• 3 weeks later...