News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just discovered this nice topic, where I can contribute something, I got some time ago.

Although the document for war merit cross for heroic deeds Lippe-Detmold is in a quite poor condition,
    I still like it very much.

Fritz Kleineges was Wachtmeister der Haubitzen-Batterie des Sturmbat. Rohr and got this war merit cross
    for defeating an incoming attack. He was wounded twice, but survived the war.

A few of his awards also survived....only the IC 2nd class was missing (I got everything directly from the family).

Regards
    Roman

Fritz_Kleineges-Auszeichnungen.jpg

Fritz_Kleineges-Urkunde-Heldentat.jpg

• 1 year later...

I take this opportunity to post here my postcard on the SturmBataillon 5 Rohr quite well known but really nice in postcard format even if it is a French card made with the negative found by the Americans. A wex squad in Argonne : 1 team leader 1 support 2 lance operator and 2 tank carrier I think. I bought this card this summer it was simply titled Trench in Argonne. I think that even if the sight is known the fact that it is in postcard format in photo quality allows it to still have an interesting value when we see the prices reached by the products related to the SB5 if anyone 'one has seen selling prices do not hesitate to tell me because I hesitate to sell it. As I am a student my postcard budget is tight and I do not particularly care about this one. Thank you for your feedback.

Julien

f7.PNG

• 1 month later...
    • 8 months later...

Good morning,

i was just doing some research and found this interesting thread. I was able to pick up a nice group of Sturmbataillon Rohr, including this painting and card from Leutnant der Reserve Paul Pense 1. Kompanie. Can anybody help with some information about his military career?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Detlev

8804B218-821F-42FE-B47D-A9468255F6F8.jpeg

BBD9C3E0-74B3-4AE4-AA12-2D5C5DDA2A99.jpeg

7C6413B9-8B97-404C-B5AC-8893EEA07864.jpeg

Detlev. Can you please show his sleeve badge and all his medals as you did on WAF? I'm sure members here would appreciate it.

I've rotated your painting and did a bit of color correction on it.

548271690_SB5Rohrpainting.thumb.jpg.c40f4e6fa7580cf35289d2f77786cc07.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

Hi Chris,

unfortunately there are no pics of a Lt Zirkler mentioned in the album.

Most pics are from the 1.st company. Here are 2 showing the owner of all this.

As i already wrote i really would appreciate if someone could help with some information about Lt. der Reserve Paul Pense, i ve all his award dates, but could not find him in the rangliste.

Best regards

Detlev

A0C85163-1A88-4A73-866D-0AECD8D9E48E.jpeg

BB6C52C3-D4C2-44CD-8509-E555FBE6B3E0.jpeg

On 29/11/2021 at 12:25, Dete said:

Good morning,

i was just doing some research and found this interesting thread. I was able to pick up a nice group of Sturmbataillon Rohr, including this painting and card from Leutnant der Reserve Paul Pense 1. Kompanie. Can anybody help with some information about his military career?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Detlev

8804B218-821F-42FE-B47D-A9468255F6F8.jpeg

BBD9C3E0-74B3-4AE4-AA12-2D5C5DDA2A99.jpeg

7C6413B9-8B97-404C-B5AC-8893EEA07864.jpeg

Hi, this autograph postcard is just amazing. 2 signatures from Rohr in such condition with photo and personal text... wow

Really interesting to see all these images, it's the synthesis of so many beautiful images in one place, the one with the dog is a BUFA, a7v, Rohr, flamethrower of the totenkopf regiment and even a mention of the sturmabteilung Calsow. With the board and the badge I think we can say that it is the holy Grail.

I am stunned to see that such a whole can still exist 100 years later.

Congratulations.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, here are some photos about the sturmbataillon Rohr that I just picked up.

2 photos with Rohr on the first:

THE KRONPRINZ AND THE KAISER VISITING THE STURMBATAILLON ROHR (DONCOURT, 1916)

VISITING THE STURMBATAILLON ROHR (DONCOURT, 1916)

Description and back on my Flickr profile (to not overload this topic).

And one more from this set (a BUFA):

KRONPRINZ AT THE DONCOURTWALD MAY 1916 (STURMBATAILLON ROHR)

And possibly another  from a different set (I am not sure about this one):

HINDENBURG AND THE KRONPRINZ (STURMBATAILLON 5 ROHR ?)

I also have a couple of stamps :

EARLY STAMP FROM STURMBATAILLON ROHR IN 1916 1/2

EARLY STAMP FROM STURMBATAILLON ROHR IN 1916 2/2 EARLY STAMP FROM STURMBATAILLON ROHR IN 1917

This first kind of stamp seems ti have been used by non-sturmbataillon troops on formation while the second one seems to be used by the man of the Sturmbataillon:

STURMBATAILLON ROHR STAMP 1917 IN REVILLE LETTER FROM A MEMBER OF THE FAMOUS STURMBATAILLON ROHR IN 1916

Some text already have transcription/traduction on Flickr while the letter and some others don't.

On 27/06/2014 at 12:34, Chris Boonzaier said:

A Nice postcard from 2 guys from the MGK, the stamp used is still just "Sturmbataillon" and no Nr. 5

post-119-0-00357600-1403865278.jpg

post-119-0-72572100-1403865286.jpg

post-119-0-25440200-1403865294.jpg

I really like stamps and this shape correspond to the SB2 as on this photo:

Sturmbataillon 2 (Stempel).jpg

That seems specific to the 3rd Army the oval.

Hello Detlev!

You won´t find Pense in the ranklists, because he was a Reserve-Offizier.

By the way. We see a lot of stamps with "B.S.".

What does it mean? S.B. is "Soldaten-Brief" (soldiers letter), but B.S.?

Sturmabteilung Rohr (Oberrottweil).jpg

6 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello Detlev!

You won´t find Pense in the ranklists, because he was a Reserve-Offizier.

By the way. We see a lot of stamps with "B.S.".

What does it mean? S.B. is "Soldaten-Brief" (soldiers letter), but B.S.?

Sturmabteilung Rohr (Oberrottweil).jpg

Hi, I think B.S. stands for Brief Stempel.

The stamp is from a divisional sturmabteilung. I don't know from which division for the moment. The Sturmabteilung commanded by Rohr became the Sturmbataillon the 1st April 1916. But this stamp looks like the one for the Sturmabteilung Rohr. So I am not sure.

Hi,

the Feldpostkarte is not from St.Btl.5(Rohr) but rather from the Sturm-Lehr-Abt. of the 12.Ldw.Div. garrisoned in Oberrotweil.

Lehr Kommando Oberrotweil.

By Feb.3rd, 1916 St.Abt.Rohr was transported to Verdun and left a small part of the Abt. in Oberrotweil for training and instruction purposes and was named Lehr Kommando Oberrotweil. 

It was disbanded by May 8th, 1916 and the Sturm-Lehr-Abt. of 12.Ldw.Div. was established with garrison in Oberrotweil.

Source : Deutsche Sturmbataillone 1915-1918 by Werner Lacoste.

Klaus 

Hi thank you for the information. I have made some additional research and found that this stamp was in use at least since September 1915 (and I have a postcard from October 1915). So if I understand it is the same stamp tha the one from Sturm-Abteilung Rohr but before February 1916 it stands for the Rohr Abteilung and after this date it stands for Sturm-(lehr)-Abteilung of the 12.Ldw.Div. I think that they simply didn't change the stamp.

Julien

Hi Julien,

thanks for your reply. It is quite possible that the stamp "Sturmabt." was still used after Rohr moved to Verdun.

However, look at the date  "11.6.16." which stands for June 11th, 1916. By that time the Sturmabt. belonged to the 12. Ldw.Div. already.

8 hours ago, Klaus P. Schad said:

Hi Julien,

thanks for your reply. It is quite possible that the stamp "Sturmabt." was still used after Rohr moved to Verdun.

However, look at the date  "11.6.16." which stands for June 11th, 1916. By that time the Sturmabt. belonged to the 12. Ldw.Div. already.

I have a Sturm Batl card from July 1916 with the Sturm Abteilung stamp. Sent from Verdun, just north of Stenay... maybe they lost the Sturm Bataillon Stamp and used an old Sturm Abt one? Unless the guy who sent it had an old stenay card and sent it from Rottweil?