News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm with you Chris. I don't mind someone nipping my stuff as long as they give me credit. I know from experience that it's quite surprising to see your photos on a website you never heard of. I even have been asked to prove that the pictures were mine in order to get them properly credited. Some people.....

Chip

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris!

The mentioned Feldpost 672 was the fieldpostnumber of the 3rd army HQ

The sender is:

Schütze Schröder, II.Sturm-Bataillon, deutsche Feldpost 672, MGK

That fits. The 2nd Sturm-Btl. belonged to the 3rd army!

Hi,

It may be 3. Armee FP number but it is a Roman II, more often used for "Müller IV" or "Schroeder II" when having more than one guy with that name?

There is also no number on the stamp, just "Sturmbataillon"... which makes me think "Rohr" as Rohr was the only one to have no number at the beginning, before others were formed.

"Sturmbataillon Nr. XY" is the standard form all my Sturmbataillon stamps have.

So far I have no Beleg of SB Nr.2 so that would be okay as well, but I am still tending towards the original "Sturmbataillon"

Best

Chris

Hi Chris!

Well, that´s possible too, but remember, the SB5 Rohr had two MGK. So I miss a 1 or a 2 on the card.

I´ve seen a few postcards in the book "Le Sturmbataillon Rohr 1916-1918". which had the fieldpostnumber 60 (from june 1917). Do you have more stamps? If yes, please check the fieldpostnumbers in that period.

Hi,

do you know when they got the 2nd MG company?

The Feldpost Numbers I have are 100 and 60

It also depends if men from Rohr were training people elsewhere... If so, they would have had the stamp of the unit they were visiting as a FP number.

Well, Chris. The numbers 100 and 60 stand for

60: Charlevill, Mouzon

100: Longuyon

I´m not sure, when they got a 2nd company, but the book "Le Sturmbataillon Rohr 1916-1018" mentioned, that there were in 1917 a Leutnant Schiele (1.MGK) and Lt.d.R. Saynisch (2.MGK).

I think, you speak french, so I recommend those two books:

Le Sturmbataillon Rohr 1916-1918 (Histoire&Collections, 2010, written by Jean-Claude Laparra and Pascal Hesse)

Les Gladiateurs - les formations offensives dans l´armée allemande 1914-1918 (YSEC, 2007, written by Jean-Claude Laparra)

Edited by The Prussian

Hi Chip!

That´s possible. Bataillons normally had roman numerals

But I have never seen a Sturm bataillon use one.

Normal Battalions, Armee Korps etc, but I have never seen a Sturmbatailion Nr. XY...

If the dicument in question just has St. b. XIV, then maybe a transitional thing, when the Sturmbataillon had been formed within the AK but not yet numbered? i.e. Sturm Bataillon XIV Armeekorks?

Best

Chris

I don´t think so. The official Sturm-Bataillone were set-up by AOKs or Armee-Abteilungen, The only army-corps, which set-up such a unit, was the I.AK and his 13.Sturm-Kompanie.

Additional to that there cwere the storm-units of the divisions

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Hi,

I recently joined up to this forum and enjoyed reading the topics so far. This topic on the Sturmbataillon Rohr is really great. Chris my compliments on your website and the information you have shared in this topic.

Enclosed is a picture I bought some years ago. At first I was not sure if this was Sturmbataillon Rohr. But when I looked at the early date and the fact that they were Pioniere, I got convinced that it indeed were members of Sturmbataillon Rohr. On the picture there are the unteroffiziere of the 5th company in June 1916.

Greetings,

Tom

Kaart05.jpg

Hello Tom!

That´s an intersting card. Could you please show the entire reverse and a larger scan of the photo because of the uniform details? What about the stamp? Is it 1915 or 1916? It´s hard to read.

I agree with the Bataillon Rohr, because there are several postcards known, which the same sender-unit ("5.Poinier-Kompanie, Sturm-Bataillon im Westen")

Im april the bataillon Rohr consisted of (I use the german terms)

4 Sturm-Kompanien

1 MG-Kompanie

1 Minenwerfer-Kompanie

1 Flammenwerfer-Abteilung

1 Batterie 10,5cm Haubitzen

1 Pionier-Kompanie

But because the Bataillon Rohr called themeselves a Pionier-Sturm-Bataillon, those companies were called "Pionier-Kompanien"

Glad to say, I couldn´t find a name "Zarges" in the list of casualties of the 5th companie

Chris,

That last one you have shown is the first one of these that I have seen that has writing on it. Like your other ones, my two are unsent. I wonder how many there were in the series?

I picked up this card from an auction recently. (NO Ebay) It was written and sent in July 1918 by a member of 10. Bavarian Infantry-Regiment.

Greetings Stefan

SBPR-915-1015061912300_0003.jpg

Hi,

I recently joined up to this forum and enjoyed reading the topics so far. This topic on the Sturmbataillon Rohr is really great. Chris my compliments on your website and the information you have shared in this topic.

Enclosed is a picture I bought some years ago. At first I was not sure if this was Sturmbataillon Rohr. But when I looked at the early date and the fact that they were Pioniere, I got convinced that it indeed were members of Sturmbataillon Rohr. On the picture there are the unteroffiziere of the 5th company in June 1916.

Greetings,

Tom

​Hi Tom,

really nice... and I think without a doubt Rohr, it was simply called "Sturm Bataillon" at that time and was the only one... nice find!!