News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

15 Place Imperial Ribbon Bar Godet Manufacture

I have in my collection this 15 place Godet ribbon bar with an array of nicely made devices including crowns, swords, and wreaths.

I am hoping that I can get some more information about the awards that are present here and some information about the career of this officer. Possibly an identification too.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Nice one!

I would guess he is a quite impressive decorated Major with a quite unimpressive career :-)

Bar dates as early WW1 Godet style, maybe around 1917.

Age 43 at the begínning of WW1 he had obviously not the required 25 active service years before the award of the long service cross was ceased for the wartime.

Lots of greetings

Daniel

Nice one!

I would guess he is a quite impressive decorated Major with a quite unimpressive career :-)

Bar dates as early WW1 Godet style, maybe around 1917.

Age 43 at the begínning of WW1 he had obviously not the required 25 active service years before the award of the long service cross was ceased for the wartime.

Lots of greetings

Daniel

Thank you Daniel. If someone can place an ID, and the history can be researched further we can see if this matches to your evaluation :) but a good start on it :)

Hi Alan,

thanks for Your comment on my "guess".

My "guess" is, that HE was born 1871, was a Captain in 1914, promoted to Major beginning of WW1 and "finished" as LtCol. No General staffer, although the array of decorations could easily point in that direction, no brave frontliner. I would look in the technical branches.

What ideas do You as a ribbon bar colletor have about it?

Lots of greetings

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I too assume that he was a Major during or toward the end of WWI.

A man with a long career driven service, well networked throughout German Kingdoms, possibly a military attache or advisor/liason officer of some description.

Close to retirement by the end of WWI.

I would also say he was someone who dressed well. I say this because Godet made some of the finest ribbon bars, with the best quality miniature devices. (As seen in this case). He would have paid a premium for using Godet to produce this bar for him. Rather than another supplier/out-fitter in Berlin. He must have been quite a well paid officer.

• 4 years later...