News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Austrian Awards

Nick

Guest Rick Research

Kev: I agree with hunyadi. Looks like the Leisek was worn down on your Large Silver.

I wouldn't expect the "Bronze" rim marking WITH a "Tautenhayn" die marked Small Silver, but the fact that the die maker's name IS there leads me to wonder if this was indeed a late wartime "officially issued" replacement.-- the dies would have remained in State control. But I too have only seen the bronze rim marking on Horthy era awards (particularly the Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal, as made circa 1930).

Greg: post scan and we can tell you.

• Replies 117
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you guys tell me what awards are here? This is from a button hole decoration.

Thanks very much for your help,

Greg

Hallo Greg,

In my humble opinion reading from the top down:

1. Germany, State of Hessen-Darmstadt Bravery Medal 1894 - 1918.

2. Prussian War Help Service Cross.

3. iii reich, Hindeberg Cross of Honour 1934.

4. Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal circa 1934.

So technically not an Austrian amongst them :P

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Thanks

I REALLY thought it to be Austrian. :unsure: Too me the very back ribbon looks to be

the same style as the FJ cross only green and not red.

Does any one have a chart or something to use as a quick reference for Imperial

ribbons? Dave Danner has a great site for these but without any clue of which state

or country you are looking up-You can spend a lot of time there searching.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

Edited by gregM

As for ribbons - the most common is the red and white war ribbon. This ribbon was used on the regular bravery medals from the Military Cross to the Small Bonze Bravey medal. The Iron Crown and the Liepolt (spelling?) Medals have their own type of ribbons, but if you look at the ribbon on the Bronze Signum Laudis above - this is what you find for most Austrio-Hungarian awards.

• 3 weeks later...

Bigger, better photos would help, scans best 150+ dpi. One real key to these is the rivests. They should be flush/smooth and perfectly filling the holes. The dies were used by Rothe well past wW2 to cranck out badges for the tourist/GI trade. But the rivets and enamels used were very different. Very, very hard to tell what is what with these.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you can see the iron in the crown.[attachmentid=63492]

The repeat bar isn't the usual tab type, but atached by 2 pins and the swords appear to be sweated on. The ends of the bar have shear marks, so it's possible that tabs were removed before mounting.[attachmentid=63493]