News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My scanner imploded today-so after visiting the electronics store I'll post pictures... but has anyone ever seen a Bronze (d)/ copper version of the Baden service medal (the kind with Frederick on it that was awarded commonly to all and sundry enlisted Baden ww1 soldiers)? I bought one recently that looks as of it is was metal that has been bronzed or gilded with copper. Unusual-if not bizarre.

I've seen bronze ones, real Silver ones, silver wash over cruddy war metal, real Gold, silver gilt, bronze gilt. What's on the back "Dem verdienst"?

"Fur veridenst"

I assumed it was the civil version of the medal-but do not find it listed in any of my medal lists.

My scanner imploded today-so after visiting the electronics store I'll post pictures... but has anyone ever seen a Bronze (d)/ copper version of the Baden service medal (the kind with Frederick on it that was awarded commonly to all and sundry enlisted Baden ww1 soldiers)? I bought one recently that looks as of it is was metal that has been bronzed or gilded with copper. Unusual-if not bizarre.

With regard the Baden Medal, I have three, two are "singles" in my collection, one with the Silver finish but has the oval ribbon Ose broken off, but still with it! and weighs 22 grams.

The other is more unusual its got a small silver round ring attached in the place of the more normal Ose, and is copper / bronze (two thin plates between which is sandwhiched an Iron core, which shows some pitting,) and weighs 25 grams.

The reason for the small ring I am sure is to hang from the more conventianal hooks on the Spange and for it to sit at a better angle, the normal ribbon ring meant the medal would be lopsided when hung conventianly.

Both have the small letters R.M. to the right of the collar of Freidrich II.

The third is on a Wooden homemade spange with an EK II and the Hindenburg Honour Cross!!!

If the copper one has had the silver wash polished off it dosent seem to have worn much of the detail away unless some type of chemical cleaner / solvent was used, and I am not sure what the difference of 3 grams would mean, combined weight of the silver wash?? sorry for the crappy pics :(

Well thats my tuppenceworth on it,

Cheers from Kev in Transylvania, Romania