News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please, does anyone know, or know where to look for information about the army in Delhi between about 1879 and 1890? I need to know what their unifroms looked like, what the officers carried as sidearms or handguns, how the regiment was organized, what they ate, and perhaps the name of one or two of the commanding offciers. I desperately need to know the names of a few of the regiments statione dat Delhi duiring this period. All and any anecdotal material would be very useful to me. I need to know the Indian name for the various ranks, like I vaguely recall being told that 'havildar' means sergeant. I exist on a very limited budget and cannot buy expensive books.

Please help if you can, thanks.

Edited by JackRainbow1

• 1 month later...

Jack

Sepoy = private / Sowar = [cavalry] trooper
    Naik = corporal
    Havildar = Sergeant [infantry] Daffadar= Sergeant [Cavalry]

Then the usual ranks for commissioned officers [all British in the Indian Army at this time]: Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lt. Colonel, Colonel

PLUS what were called 'Viceroy's Commissioned Officers - the Brits were "Queen's Commissioned": Jemadar, Subedar and Subedar Major for infantry, Jemadar, Risaldar and Risaldar Major for cavalry. These were like the senior warrant officers many armies used - paid and dressed like officers but not strictly in the chain of command. The Indian ones were in the chain of command above the Other Ranks and NCOs but below all Br. officers. They were the upholders of regimental tradition and, being Indian, an important link between the Indian ORs and their Br officers. Many were highly decorated and almost all would have worked their way up from the ranks. They were treated as officers in terms of military courtesies and so on. Later - in the 1930s - these ranks became the basis for King's Commissioned Indian Officers, with Jemadar equivalen to a Lieut., Subadar/Jemadar to a Captain and Subedar Major/Risladar Major a Major.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, drop them here or you can send me a PM [by clicking on my name].

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Officers of the British Army carried a John Adams ['Adams'] revolver from 1867 to 1880. It was a six shot revolver in .45 calibre. In 1880 it was replaced by the Enfield Revolver, Mark 1. The Enfield, in .476 was never popular - not a great design - especially on the NorthWest frontier of India where there were complaints that it lacked the stopping power to deal with 'drug-crazed' Afghan 'gazis' - 'holy warriors' or what we'd call Muhajadeen today.

The Enfield was also very heavy and difficult to reload quickly, so many officers undoubtedly purchased their own pistols privately, probably Webleys or Colts. A cavalry officer would probably carry a sword on campaign, as it could be carried on the belt or strapped to the saddle. Infantry officers may or may not have done so, based on the cumbersomeness of carrying one versus the perceived likelihood of needing it. Webleys, introduced in 1887 - in a heavy 455 calibre - were used in various models up to and through WWI.

Hope this helps. I'm curious to, as to the need for the info. Term paper, new collection item or...?

Peter

Gentlemen: thank you so much for your help thus far. To answer Mervyn Mitton's query, I don't have enough informatioin to make my story feel 'real' yet, although I'm writing some of the characters and event sequences. So I'm just collecting information about the military in Delhi in the time period I've selected, around 1879 upwards. I will be visiting Delhi for 2 months from 7th January. If anyone would like me to video a particular place, museum, or street etc, please notify the details here and if I can include it I will and then I'll post it on YT with the URL here.