News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange Imperial German Medal Bar with Foreign awards (Finland, Bulgaria)

Hi Detlef , You always find very interesting bars !

The combo looks alright to me, quite unusual but possible .

The last medal should be in third place , its the order of Estonian home guard if I´m correct and the medal missing in last place

should be Finnish Com medal 1918.

But if that Liberty Cross 2nd class is real :love: Buy it !

Christer

The last but one is the Bulgarian Order For Bravery, which was the highest military award, given only during wartime. It was established in 1879 and was celebrated on November 27th - the Day of Bulgarian victories. Not surprisingly the peace treaty of Neuilly after WWI was signed on that very day...

:angry:

Very strange collection in my view.

:anmatcat:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Do you think it is a fantasy medal bar? Or is it possible to identify the soldier?

Detlef

It would be possible if someone has list of German recipients for that Estonian Eagle cross 3rd class (Not the Order of the Eagle), that white cross is Estonian civil guards award. Do you have that bar in your collection = Do you need help for trying to find the recipient?

Jani

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mr. Tiainen,

yes, I will soon have it in my collection. Would you like to help me? I guess it would be worth it to invest some time in it...

Yours Sincerely

Detlef

Hello,

I will ask If I can find the list of foreign recipients for the Estonian award (Should be available) - I would expect to find only few Germans. I will be in touch with you.

Jani

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

hello gents,

unfortunately, till now nothing new concerning this medal bar.

anyhow, it is a nice one to me and my son.

regards and happy "father's day".

detlef

• 1 month later...

hello,

sth new about a possible owner? or is this medal bar just another hidden historic relict?

detlef

Hello Misiu;

Now that you have the bar, could you provide us with some better photos? I would especially like to see a better reverse and detail of how the awards are attached to the bar. But I will say that even with those photos I may not have comforting words about the medal bar.

The Estonia White Cross award (in last place) is on the wrong ribbon. The ribbon in third place (with the Finnish Liberty cross hanging from it) is a match. It would appear that the Estonia White Cross should move to the third ribbon position. The Finnish Liberty Cross doesn’t have a ribbon to move to.

The last place ribbon does appear to be the Finnish 1918 Commemorative Medal. Either that or the Polish Order of Military Virtue Cross.

All the ribbons appear to be in an equal state of wear, except for the Bulgarian that seems to have received extra aging.

Based on these observations, and how the medals are attached, I would venture the theory that the medals were ADDED later to a legit ribbon bar in order to enhance their appearance to a would-be buyer.

The seller researched the ribbon patterns and purchased the awards. Buying the nearest correct award for each ribbon pattern. Then handed the awards and bar over to a seamstress to attach them. At that time the Estonia White Cross was put on the wrong ribbon. A Finnish Liberty Cross was included and all were attached each like hanging fruit from the bottoms of the ribbon bar.

That would be one theory. The second is that ribbon bar is also fraudulent. Not just the combination, but the strange wrapping pattern may bear that out.