News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Off with his Whiskers!

Clearly, in 1837, the King was in no mood for long hair and whiskers...

HorseGuardsLtr1837.jpg

Circular is signed by the then Adjutant General, Lt General Sir John MacDonald, a known disciplinarian and veteran of the Peninsular Wars.

Agree Chris...I'm sure that the court marshal records of the day would make interesting reading....as young 'Private Whiskers Malone' tried to defend his position! Mind you, my first RSM was quite clear about hair length...still, it has helped ease the pain of male pattern baldness!

Despite the views of His Majesty in 1837....clearly, things had slipped a little by 1856!

Found on British Battles.com: http://www.britishba.../sevastopol.htm

Reminds me of a story that my better half's cousin told me recently. He is a former Army Dentist....and, while serving in Germany, he took a call from the Garrison RSM (who, for some time, had been gently reminding him to visit the barber)...the RSM told him that there was no queue at the barber shop, so it might be a good time to pop round there. After a few seconds of thought, Dentist cousin told the RSM that this was a cooincidence as neither was there a queue at his dental surgery...so, it might be a good time for the RSM to pop round for his long overdue dental check-up!

Edited by Monkey

I have always had my suspicions about how the shaving/hair cut regs were interpreted in the nineteenth century. Someone once pointed out that the marvellous beards seen in Crimean War photos said as much about the advent of photography as the did about how often Tommy Atkins shaved. Remember that Pioneers were allowed beards because, in theory, they left camp ahead of the main body to clear roads and put in bridges. AND, in the Georgian period 'shaved' meant shaved twice a week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays! So, while parade ground generals may very well have worked themselves into vapours over 'long hair', many officers on campaign or stationed in remote outposts of the Empire probably turned a Nelsonian blind eye on hirsute subordinates.

Check any group of photographs of soldiers in ANY combat unit and try and find one where everyone is wearing the same head gear. Hardly ever happens! Wellington was notoriously hard on officers who didn't wear the correct uniform but of his men demanded only that they fire four rounds a minute and beat the trench. I suspect that that sort of pragmatic attitude was far more common than the regulations and drawing/paintings/prints - usually modeled on 'garri-troopers' - suggest.

My tuppence worth!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan