News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Malaysian Orders of Chivalry

MrMedals

I'm trying to find images for the following Malaysian state awards - can anyone help?

1. Melaka (Malacca) - DPSM;

2. Terengganu - SUMZ and SSMZ;

3. Johore - DSIJ;

4. Kelantan – DPSK, DPKK and SPKK.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ordre of Sultan Ismael was created in 1974. So I have never seen one in Malaysia.

When it was created it was awarded in 2 classes : 1st class S.S.I.J. (it's a sash badge star shaped with 9 points and a breast star with 9 points + Collar).I was able to recently purchased such a set (picture below).The hallmarks are for Birminghams in 1979. The 2nd class D.S.I.J. was a sash badge 7 points and a breast star with 7 points.

I have purchased from that seller another decoration that seems to be linked to Order of Sultan Ismael, but it seems there is no 3rd class yet. By the way it seems a Bintang Sultan Ismael exist (a breast badge). Taz had posted a picture of it some years ago.

Emmanuel

• 5 months later...

For those of you who are intrested, The Installation Medal Ribbon of the 14th King of Malaysia (The Sultan of Kedah) on 11th April, 2012 is golden-yellow with 4x2mm edge stripes of blue/red/white/dark-green. The width of the ribbon is not known, but could be approx. 33mm.

Regards the S.S.I.J. (Darjah Sultan Ismail Johor Yang Amat Di-Bakti - The Most Blessed Order of Loyalty to Sultan Ismail of Johore, 1st Class, -photo above), I have a drawing of it in a Government publication, (together with the D.K. (Darjah Kerabat Yang Amat DiHormati - The Most Esteemed Royal Family Order) and the S.P.M.J. (Darjah Mahkota Johor Yang Amat Mulia - The Most Honourable Order of the Crown of Johore).

The new Sultan of Johore (D.Y.M.M. Sultan Tunku Ibrahim Ismail, D.K., D.K. (Pahang), D.K. (N.S.), D.K. (Terengganu), S.P.M.J., S.S.I.J., S.P.D.K., S.M.N., S.P.M.T., S.P.M.K., P.I.S.) is mostly shown wearing the S.S.I.J.

If anyone is intrested I have a complete list of Federal Malaysia & Malaysian States Orders, in Malay & English with their Ribbons.

The Insignia can be seen on the Royal Ark website of Christopher Buyers.

JDM

Hello Gentlemen, it had taken long long time before I could get one set of this Order of Kelantan, Most Valiant Order of the Noble Crown of Kelantan in Knight Commander rank D.P.K.K.). With its case....

Chritopher Buyers do a fantastic job, and I have send him several photo over the years, but some high ranking Malaysian Order are hard to get.

Emmanuel

I do not own a Kelantan S.P.K.K. set , but I own a J.M.K. , unfortunately without ribbon.

If anyone could help (the shop Malaya Trading in KL doesn't has that ribbon), and I know the State of Kelantan directly orders his ribbon and sashes from Toye Kennings, but Toye Kennings seems to be deaf to my request.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

As I said I do not own a S.P.K.K. set, but in 2005 I was allowed to take a photo of a set.

It's not as good as it could be expected with a digital camera, but it's better than nothing.

The main difference on the badges (here it's a collar badge on SPKK) , with sash badge of DPKK is that there is green leaf between the arms of the SPKK badge.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 3 weeks later...

D.Y.M.M. (H.R.H.) The new Sultan of Johore (Tunku Ibrahim Ismail) is seen wearing a group of 24 full sized medals and also a photo of him with a Ribbon

Bar of 26 Ribbons.

The Ribbon Bar has 7 rows showing the following:

1st Row (of 3): 1. D.K., 2. unknown, 3. S.P.M.J.

2nd Row (of 3): 1. S.S.I.J., 2. unknown, 3. S.P.M.T.(Terengganu)

3rd Row (of 4): 1. S.P.M.K. (Kelantan), 2. 3, 4, all unknown.

4th Row (of 4): 1. unknown, 2. Selangor Silver Jubilee Medal 1985, 3 & 4 unknown

5th Row (of 4): All 4 unknown

6th Row (of 4): 1. 11th King's Installation, 2. unknown, 3. Selangor Coronation 2001, 4. unknown

7th Row (of 4) 1. unknown, 2. S.P.S.K. (Kelantan), 3 & 4 unknown

The 24 Full size Medals with ribbons, (some are out of place), these will come later.

JDM

D.Y.M.M. Tuanku Ibrahim Ismail, Sultan of Johore (Johor in Binhasa Malaysia)

The list of 24 full sized medals & ribbons are as follows (some are out-of-place)

:

1. P.I.S. (Pingat Ibrahim Johor - or The Sultan Ibrahim Medal of Johore)

2. 8th King's Installation Medal (The Sultan of johore) 1984

3. Johore Coronation Medal 1982

4. Terengganu Coronation Medal 1980

5. Selangor Silver Jubilee Medal 1985

6. Perak Installation Medal 1985

7. Terengganu Coronation Medal 1970

8. Selangor Coronation Medal 2001

9. 12th King's Installation Medal 2001

10. Unknown (the 1st star shaped medal)

11. 11th King's Installation Medal 1999

12. Unknown (the 2nd star shaped medal)

13. Unknown, (ribbon = yellow with a green stripe near the edge)

14. Unknown

15. Unknown

16. Unknown

17. Unknown (ribbon ending with blue, white. blue & yellow)

18. Unknown (ribbon ending in red)

19. Unknown (ribbon ending in red, white, yellow & white)

20. Kelantan Silver Jubilee Medal 2004

21. 13th King's Installation Medal 2007

22. Kedah Golden Jubilee Medal ? 2008

(ribbon, yellow, with, near the edges, a black (outer), yellow (centre) & red (inner) stripes)

23. Perak Silver Jubilee Medal 1985

24. Negeri Sembilan Installation Medal 2009.

I have searched all over the internet but could not find a photo of the ribbon for Kedah Golden Jubilee Medal 2008

Photos are available if you can e-mail me I will attach the Medals & Ribbons (as above).

JDM

Hello JDM,

It's nice to make post, but it would be better if you add pictures ?

Ok I will list some recent, and not so oftenly seen Malaysian States Installation & Jubilee Medal

Let's begin by Kedah, the Silver Jubilee (in real silver) and the Gold Jubilee 2008 (in gilded metal, but striking well made for a modern piece).

The Silver Jubilee of 1983 retain the same ribbon used for the Installation Medal in 1959 (he succeded the throne in 1958, but ceremony of installation took place in 1959)

Emmanuel

You asked for a picture of the Kelantan Silver Jubilee Medal of 2004.

But to make topic, more easy to understand, I will list from left to right :

Silver Jubilee Medal of Sultan Ismail Petra 2004 (ribbon dark bleu with central white stripe),

Installation Medal of Sultan Ismail Petra 1980

Installation Medal Sultan Yahya Petra 1961

Installation Medal of Sultan Muhammad V in 2010 (ribbon white with red stripes).

The 3 first were struck in real silver, the Installation Medal of 2010 is silvered metal.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here the State of Perak , the bronze medal is the Installation of Sultan Azlan Shah in 1985 (but this medal exist in 3 classes, bronze,silver & gold....maybe real gold for royal families of Malaysian States Members). See picture taken in Kuala Kangsar Museum in my visit there in 2004

The last medal is the Perak Silver Jubilee Medal of 2009 (maybe this medal also exist in 3 classes)

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the Negeri Sembilan Installation Medal of 2009 of Tuanku Muhriz.

It's the lowest ranking one (bronze striking), but I saw it silver....so i guess for Royal Guest it may also have been struck in gilt, or real gold.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Perlis is the smallest State of the Federation of Malaysia, but also got its Installation & Jubilee Medal.

The first (with yellow & 2 wide dark green stripes in center) is Golden Jubilee Medal of Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail in 1995

The 2nd (with yellow ribbon with tiny central flashy green stripes & 2 very small side bleu stripes) is his son Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Installation Medal in 2001

The 3rd one (with flashy green central stripe and bleu & yellow stripes) is 10 Years of Reign Medal in 2011.

Emmanuel

And now Selangor

From left to right :

Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Installation Medal 1961 (I confess it's a cast one, but I bought it such a way)

Sultan Salahuddin Abdulz Aziz Shah Silver Jubilee Medal 1985 (this medal also exist in bronze & gilt, and maybe a few in real gold)

Sultan Sharafuddin Idriss Shah installation Medal 2003 (as you can see this medal exist in silver & gilt, and I guess also in bronze)

Emmanuel

Ok, now the State of Pahang

From left to right :

Silver Jubilee of Sultan Abu Bakar of Pahang 1932-1957 (in silver gilt). Ribbon show a little stain, but a very rare medal to get.

Sultan Ahmad Shah Installation Medal 1975 (he succeded his father in 1974). This medal also exist in bronze.

Sultan Ahmad Shah Silver Jubilee Medal 1974-1999 (it's the onliest for which I only own a miniature,sorry....,according to charts, the ribbon is similar to Installation medal, but the black stripe is at left & the white stripe is a right)

Sultan Ahmad Shah 80th Birthday Celebration Medal in year 2010.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Ok, now Terengganu

From left to right :

Silver Jubilee of Sultan Ismail in 1970 . You can see medal both in silver & bronze (I guess it exist also in bronze)

Sultan Mahmud Installation Medal in 1981 (he succeded his father in 1979). You can see medal both in silver & bronze (I guess it exist also in gold)

Sultan Mizal Installation 1999 (he succeded his father in 1998). I got a gold medal (actually it's silver gilt, not gold, but it may exist in real gold too). The striking is very good.

Emmanuel

Let's end by Johor.

From left to right :

Sultan Ibrahim Diamond Jubilee Medal 1895-1955

Sultan Ibrahim Memorial Medal (he passed away in 1959 after 64 years of reign). This is NOT an official medal, but it has its place here. Ribbon is not known (I just choose to put a bleu/white ribbon which are the Johor colours).

Sultan Ismael Installation Medal 1960

I would need the real picture of the Sultan Mahmud installation 1982 (I think the one that is oftenly shown is not the Installation Medal, but the Yang di Pertuan Agong Installation of the Sultan of Johor).

I would need also a picture of the Sultan Ibrahim Ismail Installation Medal 2010.

Best regards.

Emmanuel

Many thanks Emmanuel, I did not know about the 2 Perlis Medals, (Syed Putra's & the 10th Anniv. of the present reign).

The other medal we have as the 12th King's Installation Medal in 2002 (so this is wrong).

Do you have any photos of the Installation Medals of the Kings of Malaysia ?

I think they began with the 4th King or 5th King?

A lot of your photos of ribbons can now be allocated to some of the unknown ribbons.

JDM

Hope I get all this right... I've been sent a raft of images from John Duncan McMeekin with instructions to post them here.

First, HRH Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johore.

The Sultan himself in full fig: -

His full-size medals: -

And his 'rack':-

[source: Google images on the Internet]

Edited by Megan

John has also sent images of 2 new Kedah orders.

Darjah Seri Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah 2008
    The Most Esteemed Order of Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah
    Darjah Seri Setia Sultan Abdul Halim M. Shah
    (Grand Commander) (S.H.M.S.)

Darjah Utama Seri Mahawangsa Yang Amat DiHormati (D.M.K.)
    The Most Eminent Order of Mahawangsa Glory 2005

(I think I need to update my site, but first he's sent some Tongan stuff to put on here as well, so I'd better attend to that!)

Emmanuel, thank you so much. It's very generous of you to share all this. Thanks to you, I now have a much improved data base, and have identified a couple of "strangers" in my collection.

Best,

Hugh

• 11 months later...

The Ordre of Sultan Ismael was created in 1974. So I have never seen one in Malaysia.

When it was created it was awarded in 2 classes : 1st class S.S.I.J. (it's a sash badge star shaped with 9 points and a breast star with 9 points + Collar).I was able to recently purchased such a set (picture below).The hallmarks are for Birminghams in 1979. The 2nd class D.S.I.J. was a sash badge 7 points and a breast star with 7 points.

I have purchased from that seller another decoration that seems to be linked to Order of Sultan Ismael, but it seems there is no 3rd class yet. By the way it seems a Bintang Sultan Ismael exist (a breast badge). Taz had posted a picture of it some years ago.

Emmanuel

do you have the collar of SSIJ?