News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mickey Rourke wearing St. George Cross in Iron Man 2?

paja

Greetings Gentlemen,

Last night I was in a mood for something easy, stupid and entertaining - what better choice than Hollywood Marvel Comics Iron Man 2. :)

Mickey Rourke plays the villain Ivan Vanko (Bad Russians in American movies again? maybe they are tired of bad Muslims :D ).

Anyway in couple of scenes it is pretty obvious that he wears some kind of silver cross around his neck, when I payed closer attention

I saw that that was actually St. George Cross. This was interesting to me so I wanted to share this little detail from the movie with others.

Looks like he is wearing the Cross turned around.

This reminded me on that time when Michael Jackson wore Serbian Order of the White Eagle with Swords 3. grade around his neck during the child molestation trial. I remember that reactions in Serbia were divided, some people were very angry but others were happy, they were saying: You see, Michael Jackson likes us Serbs.

My guess would be that he had no idea what was the thing he wore around his neck, probably saw it on some auction and thought it would look nice on him.

Edited by paja

This reminded me on that time when Michael Jackson wore Serbian Order of White Eagle with Swords 3. grade around his neck during the child molestation trial.

Hilarious! :lol:

Never saw these pictures before ...

My guess would be that he had no idea what was the thing he wore around his neck, probably saw it on some auction and thought it would look nice on him.

Completely agree.

Obviously he (or his stylist) thought that this is just a nice trinket ...

Same story with St.George cross.

These guys simply wanted to create a proper "entourage"

Ridiculous ...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

And what's that star on his chest? Something British, maybe Imperial Service Order? Unfortunately I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to British decorations.

Now that we are talking about orders in movies, some time ago I've read an article in the newspapers about how the Order of St. Sava was used in a movie from 1956 by John Ford called "The Searchers". The article said that at beginning of the movie main character played by John Wayne gives an order which he was awarded in Mexico to a little girl. Order used in the movie was the Serbian St. Sava order 3. grade, only it was not on a original ribbon but on green and red one.

John Ford besides of being a famous, Oscar-winning director was also the US Navy Rear Admiral and a member of OSS during WW2. It is said that he was involved in some missions in the then occupied Yugoslavia, and that during that time he learned a little bit of Serbian and something about our culture. On the first Serbian/Yugoslav movie festival called the FEST in 1971 one of the guests was Frank Capra. He was received by Tito which gave him some Yugoslav order (I wasn't able to find out which one) that was to be given to John Ford for his involvement in a rescue mission during the war! Because of that some people speculate that Ford was involved in Tito's extraction during German operation Rosselsprung (Desant na Drvar). He probably used St. Sava in the Searchers because of his connections with Serbia. And even if not, story was very interesting to me.

Regards,

Radmilo

Edited by paja

I think that the ribbon on Wayne's Serbian decoration is actually the correct one for Emperor Maximillian's Order of the Mexican Eagle (Aguila Mexicana). I cannot remember the plot of the movie at all or what Wayne's character's backstory was supposed to be, but I'll bet that the film's art director was trying to suggest that this was a Mexican honor that Wayne had received. I'll wager that when the studio went looking for a suitable Mexican award to use as a prop, some enterprising dealer sold them the cross and ribbon as a real deal mid-19th century award - and the art director, having no idea what he was looking at, bought the story...

Regards.

Edited by Mathomhaus

And what's that star on his chest? Something British, maybe Imperial Service Order? Unfortunately I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to British decorations.

Another tasteless private club emblem?

Looks like a phantasy star to me.

John Ford besides of being a famous, Oscar-winning director was also the US Navy Rear Admiral ... during WW2

I believe he was only a Commander during WW2.

He was promoted to the Rear Admiral during Korea War.

Regards,

Nick

I'll wager that when the studio went looking for a suitable Mexican award to use as a prop, some enterprising dealer sold them the cross and ribbon as a real deal mid-19th century award - and the art director, having no idea what he was looking at, bought the story...

Could be that way, in fact that's probably what happened, but still interesting article and a nice story.

There are also some interesting stories about one time when Peter Bogdanovich (Whose father was a Serb) tried to make an interview with the old Ford.

By the way Bogdanovich was the guest of Honour this year on that movie festival I've mentioned before, 40th FEST.

I've managed to find that article so if someone is interested and understands Serbian (maybe with Google Translate) here it is:

http://politikin-zabavnik.rs/pz/tekstovi/admiral-iza-kamere

Another tasteless private club emblem?

Looks like a phantasy star to me.

I believe he was only a Commander during WW2.

He was promoted to the Rear Admiral during Korea War.

Regards,

Nick

Maybe I misspoken, you are right. What I meant is that Ford has reached that rank, and that during WW2 he was involved with the OSS. That's the part missing in your quote.

Anyway the reason why I've asked if the emblem was British is because I think I've read somewhere that it is, not sure.

Pictures are too small but I think that there are letters E and R on emblem, could be standing for Elizabeth Regina.

But then on the other hand ER could be standing for a lot of other things, emergency room is the first one that comes to my mind. :)

Regards,

Radmilo

Edited by paja

Maybe I misspoken, you are right. What I meant is that Ford has reached that rank, and that during WW2 he was involved with the OSS. That's the part missing in your quote.

Most likely I misread this sentence Radmilo :)

Pictures are too small but I think that there are letters E and R on emblem, could be standing for Elizabeth Regina.

Let's hope they are not ...

Seeing him with 3rd class of White Eagle with Swords is terrible enough! :lol:

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Interesting fact. "Michael Jackson is made an honorary member of the New Westminister Police Department in 1984 while in British Columbia, Canada. Appointed PC 49, he swears as a police constable to 'serve the Queen and cause the peace to be kept and preserved'. (Nov. 18th).

Check out the long list of his actual awards ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_received_by_Michael_Jackson#Other_Honors

Well, I didn't know that he actually wore it in the court! :lol:

Check this out guys

"Jackson 'wore Serbian medal upside down'

Serbian media is demanding Michael Jackson apologise for wearing one of the country's top honours for his court case - and for putting it on upside down.

There has been public outrage in the Balkan state since a historian revealed he had identified Jackson as wearing the Order of the White Eagle, which it is believed he bought in a second hand shop in America.

Miladin Markovic, Serbia's top expert on historical orders and medals and head of the National Numismatic Association, told Belgrade daily newspaper Blic: "It was degrading to see him wearing it on a day when he was at a court hearing in a paedophilia case."

The Order of the White Eagle was created by King Milan I of Serbia in 1883. But it is not clear whether Jackson was wearing a copy or an original medal.

Mr Markovic said: "In Serbian history the order has been given to people for brave behaviour on battlefields.

"As far as I know Michael Jackson bought it in a second hand shop in Las Vegas and I believe he doesn't know the meaning of the order. And not only that - but in the photo I saw he was wearing it upside down."

Story filed: 14:10 Thursday 22nd January 2004"

---

Here what one of his "fans" wrote (while answering to the question "Is there any significance to the different armbands Michael Jackson is often seen wearing on his suit jackets?")

"The color of the armband depends on who he is trying to inflence- what country he is in or whatever. Michael Jackson wears medals toimpress foreign people the same way. Michael Jackson's medal includes medals from the Civil War and World War I and World War II and the Vietnam War. Much lying by Michael Jackson to impersonate the real bravery who risked their lives protecting the people of the United States of America."

---

Interesting example of how Serbians felt about Michael wearing White Eagle :)

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124104

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Let's hope they are not ...

Seeing him with 3rd class of White Eagle with Swords is terrible enough! :lol:

I agree :)

Check out the long list of his actual awards ;)

So he was really the King, at least the King of the Agni people. :D

Here what one of his "fans" wrote (while answering to the question "Is there any significance to the different armbands Michael Jackson is often seen wearing on his suit jackets?")

"The color of the armband depends on who he is trying to inflence- what country he is in or whatever. Michael Jackson wears medals toimpress foreign people the same way. Michael Jackson's medal includes medals from the Civil War and World War I and World War II and the Vietnam War. Much lying by Michael Jackson to impersonate the real bravery who risked their lives protecting the people of the United States of America."

---

Interesting example of how Serbians felt about Michael wearing White Eagle :)

http://www.xtratime....ad.php?t=124104

Cheers,

Nick

I'm trying to imagine what would be the reaction of the American people (At least reaction of the conservative Republicans :D )

if he wore for example Medal of Honor on a pedophilia related trial... :violent: :D

• 3 months later...

:( Well, That's Hollywood and people with more money than sense, or sense of history, I suspect they all ended up in the trashcan eventually, when they had a clearout as useless trinkets, (One man's meat is another man's poison) shame really

Edited by Alex K

What's the big fuss? Just because some other guy died to earn the award doesn't mean some rich dweeb who's taste is all in his mouth shouldn't be able to wear it to his fraud trial, bar mitzvah and beach barbeque too. Lighten up guys! :cheeky:

Hell, I was presented with the tie of the of the Indian Army Officers' Association and felt guilty as hell both times I wore it - in North America where, as far as I know, the Assoc. has no members. The movie one can probably be put down to a costume director who like the colours - happens all the time. As I said just now in a different forum, the stuff guys wear on their chests in old war movies would make you crazy!

Edited by peter monahan