News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1887 Jubilee Medals to Metropolitan Police

In Feb Dreme 70 asked   'Any joy on getting your book reprinted ? '

In response to several queries such as the one above, I now have a new batch of books The Metropolitan Police, The Men and Their Medals.  This covers the Jubilee and Coronation Medals awarded to the Met Police 1887 - 1911 and lists some 33,000 officers with their warrant numbers, dates of service and medal entitlement.

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Evening Everyone.......

I have just finished reading this very interesting thread.....

I have just obtained the following......

INSPECTOR THOMAS WORTH, METROPOLITAN POLICE, WARRANT NUMBER 57675

SON

THOMAS VINCENT WORTH, 4606 PRIVATE T.V. WORTH, 9TH LANCERS, POLICE CONSTABLE, “F” DIVISION, WARRANT NUMBER: 95923

SON

LEONARD RAYMOND WORTH, 5672 PRIVATE L.R. WORTH, 5TH LANCERS, POLICE SERGEANT L. WORTH, “L” DIVISIONWARRANT NUMBER 90703

I am not a collector of Police medals but QSA's with a secondary collection of Farther / Son, Brother, family groups......

Have just started doing research on them......

Mike

Oh Yes....  Just remembered I also have the following.....

SHAXTON, C.

REG. NO.: 5589

REGT: DEVONSHIRE REGIMENT, 2nd BATTALION

BARS: CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVAAL, LAING'S NEK

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. CORONATION OF KING EDWARD VII, METROPOLITAN POLICE, POLICE CONSTABLE C. SHAXTON, R. DIVISION

Police.jpg

Very nice groups Mike

For the last group, on his police papers, the man's name is given as Charles Shaxon Warrant No 87804

Can you please tell me what is the naming on the rim of Insp Thomas Worth's first medal (which I assume is an 1887 medal - he retired in 1896 and didn't come back as a pensioner for 1897).  His 1902 medal was earned as a pensioner who re-joined.  By the way he was a Sub Divisional Inspector when he retired (between Insp and Ch Insp). 

25 minutes ago, Odin Mk 3 said:

Very nice groups Mike

For the last group, on his police papers, the man's name is given as Charles Shaxon Warrant No 87804

Can you please tell me what is the naming on the rim of Insp Thomas Worth's first medal (which I assume is an 1887 medal - he retired in 1896 and didn't come back as a pensioner for 1897).  His 1902 medal was earned as a pensioner who re-joined.  By the way he was a Sub Divisional Inspector when he retired (between Insp and Ch Insp). 

Good Morning......

Thank You for your reply......

The naming on the first medal for Thomas is as follows:  INSPT. T. WORTH W DIVN

In further digging I have found out that the Jubilee medal was given to a third son PERCY EDGAR WORTH, Joined 1910 Discharged 1946.....

Mike

29 minutes ago, QSAMIKE said:

Good Morning......

Thank You for your reply......

The naming on the first medal for Thomas is as follows:  INSPT. T. WORTH W DIVN

In further digging I have found out that the Jubilee medal was given to a third son PERCY EDGAR WORTH, Joined 1910 Discharged 1946.....

Mike

Have you by chance got the son's medals or know what he was entitled to? I'm looking to try and ascertain medal groups to bobbies that had the 1911 coronation medal and the WW2 defence medal (for police service). Particularly pairs like Percy may have had, whereby he had unbroken police service from being awarded the 1911 medal and being awarded the defence medal. 

14 minutes ago, bigjarofwasps said:
    15 minutes ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Have you by chance got the son's medals or know what he was entitled to? I'm looking to try and ascertain medal groups to bobbies that had the 1911 coronation medal and the WW2 defence medal (for police service). Particularly pairs like Percy may have had, whereby he had unbroken police service from being awarded the 1911 medal and being awarded the defence medal. 

Sorry but what you see is what you get but thanks for confirming he may have had the Defence Medal......

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...
    • 1 month later...

hello

I have brought my first 2 Jubilee medals

PS E. West, V Div, no bar

PC H Richards A Div, 1897 bar

Can anyone tell me where A Div and  V Div would be?

And any further information would be appreciated on these 2 would be good

540x360.jpg

540x3601.jpg

Edited by cazack

Couldn't find Sgt West so he must have joined before 1879.

Const Henry Richards warrant number 68514, joined on the 06.08.1883 and retired on the 23.10.1907, having spent his entire service in A Division. 

Might be worth putting their names into the Old Bailey website, you might turn something up there......

• 1 month later...

20170831_120525_zpsbtqspwuv.jpg

20170831_120543_zpsqzmw2kxq.jpg

20170831_120710_zpslhwyc2l4.jpg

20170831_120733_zpso7nof7d4.jpg

Hi Folks, bought my first police Jubilee/Coronation medals today (at $90 CAD a pretty good price I think).

1897 Queen Victoria Jubilee Medal named to:

P.C. 106 W.J.M.C. Maunder - 1st Divn

1902 King Edward VII Coronation Medal named to:

P.C. W. Maunder - 1st Div

Can anyone with archival access please assist and provide me with additional info on PC Maunder?

I understand the numbered divisions were dockyard divisions.

No one seems to have bothered to answer this enquiry, so I'll provide the details I have for William MAUNDER.

He joined on 26th December 1893 (Warrant No:- 79218) and was posted to "E" Division (Holborn). He retired on pension on 6th February 1922 and at that time he was serving as a Sergeant in the 1st Division (Woolwich Dockyard/Arsenal). In 1897 he was a Constable in the 1st division. In 1902 he was still a Constable in that Division and in 1911 he was a Sergeant in the 1st Division. According to the book compiled by Mr. J.H.F. Kemp he was entitled to the 1911 Coronation Medal in addition to those you have. I hope this is helpful.

Dave. 

PS. It looks as if some industrious individual has cleaned the medals, which will have devalued them somewhat.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Dave, very interesting, though it's always going to bother me now knowing that 1911 medal is somewhere else out there in the universe! Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to do that for me, it's much appreciated.

And yeah I kind of figured as much with the scratches especially evident on the 1902 medal but it doesnt look as pronounced in person and allowed me to get in on a pair of medals I wouldnt have bought otherwise any time soon (diapers taking up most my money  now).

Matt.

Edited by SemperParatus

44 minutes ago, SemperParatus said:

Sorry to have missed these replies. QSAMike I'll have to register on that forum to see those, what am I missing here?

I thought that you may be able to see it as a guest but there are a number of threads, questions and answers with regards to the 1897 Police Medals and Bars.....

Mike

• 7 months later...

hello all

thought I would share my first Metropolitan Police Victoria Jubilee Medal 1897 & Edward VII Coronation Medal 1902

PC E FOX A & D Divn

Would anyone be able to tell me what the divisions are

regards

Caz

c52398d2-5bdb-40f9-a60c-6e56a629dbad.jpg

Your man is PC Ernest Fox

He joined the Met 17/06/1867  and was pensioned 29/08/1892 serving as a PC in A Div - his Warrant Number was 48564

He re-joined as a Pensioner for the 1897 Jubilee and is shown in the Police Orders as CO Div (Scotland Yard) but actually served in M Div (Southwark) - he had a new Warrant Number 82409 (this earned him the 1897 bar).  The Attestation Register shows he was originally assigned to H Div (Whitechapel) before he went to M Div. 

He re-joined again for the 1902 Coronation and served with D Div with a new number 1811 (this earned him the 1902 Medal). 

So you have his entire Police Medal entitlement, earned over three separate stints in the police.  Men who re-joined as Pensioners normally only did a few days duty just before the royal event and then left again, earning a medal or bar.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 1 year later...
    On 01/09/2017 at 07:44, SemperParatus said:

20170831_120525_zpsbtqspwuv.jpg

20170831_120543_zpsqzmw2kxq.jpg

20170831_120710_zpslhwyc2l4.jpg

20170831_120733_zpso7nof7d4.jpg

Hi Folks, bought my first police Jubilee/Coronation medals today (at $90 CAD a pretty good price I think).

1897 Queen Victoria Jubilee Medal named to:

P.C. 106 W.J.M.C. Maunder - 1st Divn

1902 King Edward VII Coronation Medal named to:

P.C. W. Maunder - 1st Div

Can anyone with archival access please assist and provide me with additional info on PC Maunder?

I understand the numbered divisions were dockyard divisions.

Interesting that the 1897 medal is engraved including his collar number. I assume this is a Dockyards Police phenomenon? 

Hi,

I have added some photographs of the engraving to Police Constable 122 Charley Packman's 1897 medal and who was attached to the 1st or Woolwich [Dockyard/Arsenal] division.

Unfortunately, it is a dull day and my camera is getting old so they are the best photographs that I can do at the present time.

He was awarded the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1897 and the Coronation medals for 1902 and 1911 and served his whole service in 1st or Woolwich division.

Joined the Metropolitan Police on the 2/7/1888, warrant number 73743 and was therefore serving in the Metropolitan Police just prior to the start of the JTR murders. Retired on the 14th of September in 1914.

Metropolitan Police pension records will only tell you if that individual has served on 'Special Duties' ……..if they were on 'Special Duties' at the time of their retirement. Police Constable 122 Charley Packman is one such example because he was attached to ''Plumstead Marshes Magazine and the cost of this 'Special Duty' was paid for by the War Department.  

It would be interesting to show a Metropolitan Police 1887 medal for somebody serving in 1st or Woolwich division and compare the details/engravings. 

SS859238 (2).JPG

SS859254 (2).JPG

SS859264 (2).JPG

SS859266 (2).JPG

SS859271 (2).JPG

SS859275 (2).JPG

SS859278 (2).JPG