News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Travel-Cutlery-set dating from Napoleonic Wars

Josef Rietveld

gents, I put this topic here because i don't know whre to put it else.

Some Months ago i had the oportunity to buy a cutlery-set dating from end of the 18th century via ebay.

The auction wasn't welldone - bad pictures, no measures and the auction was put in the wrong category (militaria, that is the reason why i found it :D

When the set arrived i recognised the beauty of the set and sent a second mail to seller asking if he has any background-information. He replied that was from his family and belonged to his great-great-grandfather Moritz von Reisinger who was high-ranking-officer in the austria Army.

I show you the pictures first, then I will write what i found out on Moritz von Reisinger.

haynau

The set is made of silver and hallmarked with the viennas crest and the numbers 1 7 8 6 arround the crest for the year 1786. There are two makers marks "CF" and "IS". Only fork and spoon are hallmarked, the knife, as it was made of silver and steel (blade) has no marks. Overall length is abbout 17 cm. the complete set has a weight of 155 gramms. all handles show an engraved "R" for Reisinger.

Biographic Details:

the full name of the family is Reising von Reisinger.

Maximilian von Reisinger, born 1776, entered service on the 9th of June 1790 and became ensign in the 12th k.k. Infantry-Regiment. He saw action at the campaigns from 1792 to 1815 and 1821 (naples?), took part in the siege of Mainz 1794 and the battles of Wagram (5/6th July 1809) and Aspern (21/22th May 1809) where he distinguished himself and was wounded. On 20th of April 1826 he was promoted to General-Major, 1833 to Feldmarschall-Leutnant (General-Lieutenant). 1840 he became holder of the 18th Infantery Regiment. He died on 28th of february 1848.

To be continued

haynau

Edited by haynau

He had only two decorations. The Army-Cross or socalled kanonenkreuz 1813/14 and the Commanders Cross of the Order of St. George of the Reunion (Sicilly). Possibly for the 1821-campaign. He just missed the Sevicecrosses which were founded in 1849.

His Grandfather Joseph Reisinger was Feldstuck-Hauptmann and was nobled in 1731 by Charles VI. His father Maximillian von Reisinger died as General-Major.

In 1845 the family was enobled to Freiherrn-Stand (baron), based on a regulation from Empress Maria Theresia from 1759 that after 30-years-of-service an officer could pled for an nobility-"upgrade".

Feldmarschall-Leutnant von Reisinger was married to Josepha, maiden-name Gabriel, who gave birt to six children.

IF ANYBODY HAS AN PRINT of Maximillian von Reisinger I would be very pleased to get PN.

haynau

• 11 months later...