News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Very,very, very old soldier

Yes, I'm busily trying to track down the Army & Navy Veterans flag which featured in earlier posts, as I live just down the road from Canadian Forces Base Borden, whose museum is the putative home of the flag. Fascinating stuff. And Mr. Brophy seems to have been a great self promoter as well, no doubt, as a mainstay of the A& N group.

Yet another photograph of the Army and Navy Veterans flag has turned up in the James Collection, item #630, City of Toronto Archives, showing the banner being saluted on 24 May 1912 by the Duke of Connaught, Canada's Governor-General, at a ceremony in front of Ontario's Parliament Building, Queen's Park, Toronto. As any schoolboy knows, "The 24th of May is the Queen's birthday, and if you don't give us a holiday we'll all run away." A statue of the Duke's Royal Mother appears in the background, bedecked with wreaths he had placed there. One of them, and the anchor at its base, were requested by the Army & Navy Veterans. The Duke said "he regarded it as the greatest compliment they could pay him to ask him to place flowers on his mother's monument." (The Globe [Toronto], May 25, 1912, p. 21)

• 2 months later...

Please see the link below to an article "Toronto's Near Forgotten Veterans of Crimea" on p. 3 of the March issue of The Fife & Drum newsletter of The Friends of Fort York, Toronto. It includes some of the information posted in the forum above, but also new material including a link to a British Pathe newsreel in which Michael Brophy appears among those welcoming the Prince of Wales to Toronto in 1919. Thanks to all, particularly Ulsterman, who contributed to the piece. <http://www.fortyork.ca/images/newsletters/fife-and-drum-2014/fife-and-drum-mar-2014.pdf>

mr. Otto deserves recognition and applause for all his efforts! he has located a tonne of information on Canadian old veterans and is in hot pursuit of the flag!

he also located Brophys' odd medal, which I thought was a temperance medal. it is in fact a members' medal of the imperial veterans association, which I suspect was a precursor of the British legion.

It's in the collections at Greenwich.

huzzah Canada!

• 2 years later...

Stephen has tracked down several examples of the Imperial Army & Navy Association medla and is looking for one to add to the collection at Fort York's new musem, in Toronto.  Here is a good shot on one example. and a link to the current issue of the Fife and Drum, the newsletter of ther Friends of the Fort.

http://www.fortyork.ca/images/newsletters/fife-and-drum-2116/fife-and-drum-july-2016.pdf

fife-and-drum-july-2016-page05.png

Edited by peter monahan