News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys,

i was not exactly sure where to post this set of photographs.Due to the content i figured they would be OK here in the German Imperial forum.

My mom gave me this old souvenir set of photo's on my my recent trip to England.She told they were given to her years by an "old lady friend".

An interesting set of images of the "Sinking of the German Ships at Scapa Flow on June 21st 1919".

The photo's appear to be original prints presented in a titled folder.All of the images are the copyright of a C.W.Burrows.

There are 14 photo's in the set and sadly number 4 is missing.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

I wonder if its possible to do wreck diving there?

Yes Chris,it is.

There are many charter companies that offer diving tours.

Just Google Scapa Flow Diving.

Here is photo 8.

Edited by Martin W

Hello Martin:

Thanks for showing these photos which brought back memories of times when as a young boy we learned of these events. They were of course described as a gallant attempt to prevent the surrender of German high sea war ships to the British Navy. Internment of which was part of the German obligations to end the war. Admiral Ludwig von Reuter who was in command had given instructions for the scuttling of all ships upon a prearranged signal which he implemented when he believed a surrender to be imminent.

Admiral v.Reuter I remember to have become somewhat of a hero, understandably so.

Just a part of memory,

Bernhard H. Holst

I wonder if its possible to do wreck diving there?

Many of the ships were raised and sold for scrap. There are some left to dive on and it is a major dive stop. The water is cold and not always clear. I understand that the steel from some of the ships is still being salvaged as it is one of the few sources of steel that does not have atomic radiation.