News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 and interwar pith helmets FSH - help with ID

Hello Gentlemen,

I have several pithhelmets and would really appreciate any info that can be provided on them. I've posted a few pics of them below.

The first helmet has white over blue diamond helmet flash and 39 over DSC emroidered on the flash with the number 17 (?1917?)stamped beneath the war department stamp (W/ID) and "X" above.

I believe it to be from the 39th battalion of the 17th(Western) Division, stationed in Mesopotamia and later in Northern Persia (Baku) toward the end of and after WW1.

The second helmet is slightly different in its manufacturing. Its more consistent with pith helmets produced early during vWW1 bs those produced ilater toward the and and during the "Inter-war" period. It has the helme flash of the Lancahire Fusiliers,thick worsted wool, moth eaten, and faded redorange. Although its with some trepidation, I am guardedly optimistic that it may be of the Gallipoli campaign. It looks as though the liner is either a replacment or was repaired in the field - the constructionofthehelmet maybe WW1, but I suspect the liner is later war or even interwar in its vintage. Since it is glued and the seam of the liner isnt centered, I am inclined to believe it may have been used to replace the original liner - perhaps a field repair? Additionally I cannot see any specific dates on it, however there is an oval stamp on the cork suggesting its maker was that of Hobson and Sons.

Thank you,

Mike

Mike - another two good helmets that we must hope someone can help with definitive answers. This is not my field so I can't really

help - apart from saying that an 'X' above the WD and broad arrow - usually means 'sold out of service.

Have a look at book reviews - in the section under the Lounge. I did a review of an excellent book on Tropical helmets some time ago.

Mervyn