News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portuguese Awards Display

Some Orders and Medals from my country.

The three first Orders to the left of 1st row are from before the Republic (before 1910), the last Order (4th piece, 1st row) is from the Republic, probably from the 40's-50's.

The War Cross (1st piece to the left of 2nd row) is from WWI (1917), the other Medals are more recent.

Dolf

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolf,

Those are very attractive awards.

When does the Military Merit medal date from and are there any other versions of the Portuguese War Cross, i.e. not the 1917 type?

Are there any Interallied Victory Medal variants or only one design?

David

David,

Unfortunately there are very little information about Portuguese awards available, so I must confess I know quite more about Soviet or Mongolian awards than those from my own country :blush:

Anyway, about the Military Merit Medal: very hard to say from when it dates, as this one I have is exactly like the ones that are currently issued. So I can only guess that because of the worn ribbon this one already has a few decades. I believe this is a Medal that exists only after the Republic was established in 1910.

War Cross: Yes, there are other types of this award. I believe this one is of the Type 1, issued at the end of WWI. I know there is at least a Type 2, and perhaps a Type 3 which would be the one currently issued.

Interallied Victory Medal: yes, apparently there are different variations of this hard to find Medal. I couldn't get my hands on one yet, each time one shows up on eBay I'm allways outbidded :(

My priority now would be a Military Order of Avis and a Order of Santiago of the Sword, then a Order of Christ. I have an old Order of Christ (2nd piece, 1st row on my Display) but this one is one of the types existant during the Monarchy. I'm looking for another more recent type, same type of those issued now.

Then there are a couple of other Orders, such as the Order of Prince Henry the Navigator (awarded last week to Bill Gates when he came for a few days business trip) and the Order of Liberty (not sure if this is the one awarded recently to Bono from the U2 and Bob Geldorf for their humanitarian causes) that by the way I don't even know how it looks as I was never able to see a picture or a draw of this one!

Hope it helps.

Best,

Dolf

Hi Dolf;

This is quite an impressive collection! :jumping:

I've always liked Portuguese awards - in fact, the decoration that got me into collecting them was a collar to the officer class of the Order of St. James of the Sword. I finally managed to buy that collar, plus a Grand Cross badge and star set, and a gold officer class of the Order of St. Benedict of Aviz. They are still among my favorite items in my collection even though i have moved over to Communist decorations.

Cheers,

Eric

Hi Dolf;

This is quite an impressive collection! :jumping:

I've always liked Portuguese awards - in fact, the decoration that got me into collecting them was a collar to the officer class of the Order of St. James of the Sword. I finally managed to buy that collar, plus a Grand Cross badge and star set, and a gold officer class of the Order of St. Benedict of Aviz. They are still among my favorite items in my collection even though i have moved over to Communist decorations.

Cheers,

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks.

I see you have two of those I still don't have, even thought I just want the Orders, not the grand collars or the breast Badges.

I believe I've seen pics of your pieces on the W-A Forum, right?

Cheers,

Dolf

Very nice collection, Dolf! :love:

I noticed you have the order of Villa Vicosa there too. The head of the royal house of Portugal, HRH Dom Duarte, Duke of Braganza still awards that order. I have two friends here in the states who are knight commanders of Villa Vicosa.

Very nice collection, Dolf! :love:

I noticed you have the order of Villa Vicosa there too. The head of the royal house of Portugal, HRH Dom Duarte, Duke of Braganza still awards that order. I have two friends here in the states who are knight commanders of Villa Vicosa.

Hi Mike,

Yes, the Royal Military Order of Our Lady of the Conception of Vila Vi?osa (wow! That's the entire long name of this Order :P ) is one of the three Dynastic Orders that still belong to the Portuguese Royal House to award. On the contrary of all the others, for which the Grand Master is the President of the Republic, the Grand Master of these three is indeed Dom Duarte, the Duke of Bragan?a.

According to the info available on a site it seems that the two others, even thought I've never seen one for sale, are the Royal Order of St. Elisabeth (I've seen a picture of this one on that site) and the Royal Order of St. Michael's Wing (never seen a pic of this one, so don't even know how it looks like! Maybe it doesn't exist anymore).

Cheers,

Dolf