News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portuguese Awards Display

Finally, an old Type of the Order of Christ. There are quite a few Types and Variations of this Order, including a few different brest Badges.

Now the Order looks quite different, it's only a cross in red and white enamel, as on the centre of this one.

Obverse:

Edited by Dolf

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful! I have never seen Portugese medals collected before!! I am most impressed by the Portuguese War Cross!!

Paul,

Thanks.

Despite the fact of being Portuguese (well, not born in Portugal but still...), these were not (and are still not) my 1st priority, and not my 1st interest, as I started the hobby by collecting Soviet awards then Mongolian (one thing I really love on these is the fact they are serial numbered, therefore much more easy to research and also situate in time), but from time to time when I find a nice one of these Portuguese ones...

The War Cross has a quite simple design compared to the Orders, but I agree that it's still a nice piece, most of all for it's Historical meaning.

Cheers,

Dolf

Hi Dolf,

These orders are really very nice. I understand why, sometimes, you may be tempted by acquiring one of those; they are pure work of craftmanship!! Congrats!! :jumping:

BTW, it is interesting to notice how close are the Portuguese and French Crosses of WW1. The shape is obviously different, but the ribbon and the style are very similar!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Dolf,

These orders are really very nice. I understand why, sometimes, you may be tempted by acquiring one of those; they are pure work of craftmanship!! Congrats!! :jumping:

BTW, it is interesting to notice how close are the Portuguese and French Crosses of WW1. The shape is obviously different, but the ribbon and the style are very similar!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

Small World, cher ami ;)

Yes, they are nice indeed.

And yes, I also noticed the similarities of many of these awards from this period, in different countries.

You know that many of the Portuguese Orders of this epoch were made in France? It also seems that some of the French awards of the same period were made in other countries, apparently not all of them were made in France!

I still prefer a serial numbered piece, but these I like them for the design and also of course because it's part of my past, or at least part of my parent's country.

Cheers :beer:

Dolf

Dolf,

Here is a drawing of the neck cross of St. Michael of the Wing. Unfortunately it's done as a Microsoft Word document and not a picture, so I can't post it as a photo.

Mike,

Thank you so very much! :D

Wow! Nice piece!

If by any chance you can post a similar draw or pic of the more recent Order of Liberty, which I've also never seen and have no idea how it looks like, I'd be very grateful!

Thank you! :beer:

Dolf

Yup! Those would be the same examples. If anyone wants to see them here, let me know and I'll post them up in a new thread or something.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric,

I for one would be interested in seing them here!

You can post them on this thread, no problem at all as far as I'm concerned ;)

Thanks,

Dolf

(...) You know that many of the Portuguese Orders of this epoch were made in France? It also seems that some of the French awards of the same period were made in other countries, apparently not all of them were made in France! (...)

Dolf

Hi again Dolf,

Very interesting points. I did not know that...

For the Portuguese awards, which ones have been produced in France?

And for the French ones, in which countries (outside the former French Colonial Empire, and the UK during WW2) ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi again Dolf,

Very interesting points. I did not know that...

For the Portuguese awards, which ones have been produced in France?

And for the French ones, in which countries (outside the former French Colonial Empire, and the UK during WW2) ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

I don't know much about this, but I've seen some Portuguese brest Badge for the Order of Christ (often with a sacred heart, you can see pics on the site of that guy Yuri Yashnev) for sale here and there, listed as manufactured in France.

As for French awards I know even less (meaning nothing at all in fact :blush: ) but I remember Jan (vatjan) mentioning some time ago that he had got some variation of some French Medal (unless it was Belgian?!) made in Lybia I believe.

Hope he reads this and can confirm or at least help to enlight this issue.

Cheers,

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

I was talking about the Croix the guerre 1939 that was, apart from being produced in france, also made in some north african countries, the UK and in Italy. Precise info for the exact production locations for this or that variation is still an issue for debate.

I'll post some pix in another thread later, to show what I meant.

Jan

I was talking about the Croix the guerre 1939 that was, apart from being produced in france, also made in some north african countries, the UK and in Italy. Precise info for the exact production locations for this or that variation is still an issue for debate.

Jan

Jan,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply and clarification :beer:

Dolf

Jan

Hi Jan,

That's correct. These are for example, the Croix made in London, or the Croix de Giraud (North Africa).

That's exactly what I meant in saying :

"And for the French ones, in which countries (outside the former French Colonial Empire, and the UK during WW2) ?"

We agree. :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest addition to this branch of the collection, Order of Santiago of the Sword, not sure if Knight or Officer grade.

The Box, and Inside the box:

Dolf

EDIT: After research I believe it's Officer grade.

Edited by Dolf

And a nicer more detailed scan of the Order itself.

Isn't it nice?... :P

This Order is part of the group of the Military Orders (Order of the Tower and the Sword, Order of Christ, Order of Avis and this one) and "is awarded to distinguish outstanding services in the arts, sciences and literature, with noteworthy merit and achievements"

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Dolf,

Here is a drawing of the neck cross of St. Michael of the Wing. Unfortunately it's done as a Microsoft Word document and not a picture, so I can't post it as a photo.

Mike,

You know what?

This week I had the chance to spend a few hours on the house that manufactures most of the Portuguese awards these days (well they exist for centuries, you probably know the house Frederico da Costa) and I had the chance, among other things to have one of those Order of St. Michael of the Wing on my hands!... :jumping: They still make it and I was told that D. Duarte still awards it as well as the other Dynastic Orders!

I will return one of these days and will try to make pictures.

Cheers,

Dolf

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.... Below is pictured a WWI officer's bar with the order of Christ 3 class. I am attempting to trace the bar to the original owner. I want to make sure that the medal is for sure the Order of Christ 3 class. Also I was told that this medal was awarded before 1910. Is this correct? Thanks for the help.