News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Small Japanese Collection

azyeoman

Here's the latest acquistions for this tiny collection. 

They are in In the Name of a Living God by Paul Murphy and Steven Ackley.  (page 61)

The are commemorative awards of the Patriotic Women's Association and in this case are Obi Dome badges.

The top one is "made from coinage metal and enamel and was issued to commemorate the 35th General Assembly of the society, which took place in 1936.  The design is based on a deconstruction of the various elements of the society membership badge such as the anchor, star and cherry blossom.  The quality of the manufacture is very high.  Each delegate attending the 35th General Assembly received this badge..."  It is reasonably scarce. (0.89" high by 1.9" wide)

The bottom one is another Obi Dome badge celebrating the 3rd General Assembly of the Hiroshoma Branch.  It too is of the same high quality manufacture and is made from coinage metal and enamel.

The reverses are shown with the kanji inscriptions.  I do not have the exact translations of either one and would appreciate it if anyone can help with that.  Thanks very much in advance.

Johnimage.thumb.jpeg.839e4a1d3ee9f99d31349f9817876444.jpeg

IMG_1983.jpg

Very nice pieces, Azyeoman. For a while I've wanted to take the plunge on Patriotic Women's Association obidome but gosh darn it I already have too many collecting threads and don't need more.

All the best,

Tracy

Edited by TracA
    Word correction.

51 minutes ago, TracA said:

Very nice pieces, Azyeoman. For a while I've wanted to take the plunge on Patriotic Women's Association obidome but gosh darn it I already have to many collecting threads and don't need more.

All the best,

Tracy

The enameling is so wonderful that I couldn’t resist. And doesn’t every Japanese collection need to have obidomes?  lol. 🙂

azyeoman,

You're absolutely correct. I have a Patriotic Women's Association obidome waiting in the wings, I should just go ahead and purchase it. 😃

Tracy

25 minutes ago, TracA said:

azyeoman,

You're absolutely correct. I have a Patriotic Women's Association obidome waiting in the wings, I should just go ahead and purchase it. 😃

Tracy

image.png

Edited by azyeoman

Nice obidome! 

On 22/01/2024 at 01:25, azyeoman said:

The reverses are shown with the kanji inscriptions.  I do not have the exact translations of either one and would appreciate it if anyone can help with that.  Thanks very much in advance.

John

Very nice obidomes John! 

Here you will find all information abouth these (and others obidomes) https://asiamedals.info/threads/obidome-of-womens-patriotic-association-me.23784/#post-349430

Thank you so very much for the link with so much info and wonderful photos. The quality of the obidome is exquisite and it’s good to see all the variations and branches. Do you know of any photos  of women wearing them?  Are there photos of the various assemblies and meetings?  Thanks again!