News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British or Commonwealth medal?

I was in a small shop a few days ago and spotted a medal, which I got only a quick look at, so the description is a bit sketchy, but here goes.

The ribbon is extra wide - say 2 inches rather than the normal 1 & 1/2 inches. It is watered silk and a rainbow in pale yellow, pink & white. Looks very like the Scinde Campaign Medal ribbon. [see the 2nd Type HYDERABAD 1842 at this site: http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/united-kingdom110.htm] The ribbon is clearly new and has a pin back.

The reverse shows a standing/walking lion, facing right, over the words "FOR FOREIGN SERVICE".

The obverse, at which I got only a brief look has crossed somethings - swords, I think, or possibly daggers/lnce heads. In the upper quadrant between the arms is some form of animal - a stylized drawing. Can't recall anything else.

The dealer says 'Egyptian' but the lion, the ribbon and the general 'look' scream "British/Imperial or Commonwealth'.

Any thoughts? All suggestions, except the rude ones, thankfully received!

Peter

Hello Peter......

This I am afraid is one of those medals that you can purchase..... Cannot be worn with regular medals.....

This is what is on line.....

Mike

THE FOREIGN SERVICE MEDAL

Is available to all qualified British Commonwealth and Allied ex-servicemen and women and to Civilian Volunteers,(Police,Fire Service,Essential Services,Coast Guard,Merchant Navy,Ambulance Service,Red Cross, etc.,).

The Medal is to commemorate overseas service in both War and Peace,that has not been recognised by any award.

The medal is die-struck, with a high grade bright nickel finish,to the same high standard of military medals and decorations for which the Mints of the British Empire were so renowned.

The design is deliberately reminiscent of the by-gone days of 'Empire'.

The Medal's beautiful watered finish ribbon represents the colour of the eastern sky when the sun rises without a cloud:crimson falling into gold and gold into blue.

The Medal is available with CLASPS to denote the particular areas of service.In this way one or more clasps representing various areas of Foreign service can be attached to the one medal as is the practice with all of the various British General Service Medals.The clasps,which are of similar construction and assembly to those used on those various General Service Medals are riveted to each other and then to the Medal ribbon suspender bar.

Approximately 100 different clasps are available.

The medal may also be ordered by Next-of-Kin.

PRICE = £75.00 which includes the cost of a first (mandatory) clasp. Other clasps ( £25.00 each ) may also be added to the medal. A full list of all available clasps is

included on the ORDER FORM.

A Dress Miniature is also available:

Price = £37.00 including one clasp.

Additional clasps are available: Price; £12.00 Each.

Mike

Thanks for the prompt and very complete answer. Sounds spot on. I'll let the dealer know. It aslo sounds as if someone stands to make some money on this 'scheme', for want of a ruder word. I am familiar with several 'extra' medals worn by RC Legion members - the one for Dieppe and so on - and have always had really mixed feelings. I understand why the vets want specific recognition of their particular campaign or battle but I feel that adding private or semi-official medals cheapens the whole idea.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Peter