News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Korean War is NOT forgotten

azyeoman

My father served in WWII and Korea. He was wounded in Korea fighting the Chinese. Although he never talked about it, I became interested in the war and the myriad of medals issued by different countries. Here's a very small collection. Most of the men in this tray were supporting each other at the Imjin. The pair in the upper right and the GSM with Korea pair at the bottom were to men who served and fought with the RUR. They were both prisoners and ended up playing soccer for the winning UK team in the "N. Korean POW Olympics" in 1952.

Edited by azyeoman

There were only 804 S. African Korean War Medals awarded. There were only 3,972 Dutch who served in Korea. For those interested in Silver Stars, far fewer were awarded for Korea than for Vietnam. The named US POW Medal in the center is quite rare too. To date, only about 4,000 Canadian Korean War Volunteer Service Medals have been claimed and awarded. This PPCLI group has paperwork confirming all three awards.

Edited by azyeoman

Belgian, French and Norwegian (top row)

Greek, Turkish and S. Korean (middle row)

Ethiopian, Filapino and Thai (bottom row)

The contingents were small and it's time consuming to put a representative collection togther. The hard ones are Italy, Colombia and India. Columbian and Italian medals for Korea are expensive.

Edited by azyeoman

Thanks for bringing us these. I think we'd all enjoy them more if you would:

a) Take the glass cover off so you wouldn't get reflections in the picture

b) Get a little closer so we can see them better.

Thanks,

Hugh

RNZA to

1. Queen’s Korea (2nd Type) 206425 Gnr S. F. Williams
    2. UN Korea 206425 Gnr S.F. Williams

206425 Gnr Stanley Francis Williams, known as Stan was born 1929. He was too young for WWII and did not serve in Japan with the NZ forces who were part of the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces. He only served in Korea.
    Williams departed NZ on 15 June 1951 with the 2nd Reinforcements. He flew by TEAL (Tasman Empire Airways Ltd) to Sydney, Australia and then by Motor Vessel "Tai Yuan" via Brisbane, Rabaul, Hong Kong to Japan and then to Korea. Posted to Regimental HQ of 16th Field Regt. Served everywhere with 16th Field Regt while he was in Korea. Spent two and a half months in 29 General Hospital in Kure, Japan and had numerous operations on his right hand. (29 GH was a British staffed hospital in Kure and was part of BCOF. It seems that most, if not all, Commonwealth casualties in Korea were initially sent to 29GH for treatment). Emplaned at Iwakuni, Japan 14th Feb. 1953 for return to NZ via Guam, Port Moresby and Sydney and deplaned Wellington NZ from TEAL flight ex Sydney 18 Feb. 1953. He was discharged from Kayforce on 8 May 1953. (All NZ Army personnel in Korea were part of "Kayforce" - the cover name for all our troops who went to Korea).
    He was awarded the Korea Medal and the UN Medal for Korea and these medals were later sold in London (date unknown). Williams was alive in 1996 and living in Wanganui, NZ. His war service entitles him to the following medals: Operational Service Medal, Korea Medal, UN Medal for Korea, Defence Service Medal with clasp Regular and the Korean War Service Medal

Edited by azyeoman

PPCLI to

1. Queen’s Korea (Canadian) A-800424 J. Cheyne
    2. Canadian Korean War Volunteer Medal (unnamed as issued)
    3. UN Korea A-800424 J. Cheyne

Swing mounted with cap badge, brass shoulder titles, cloth shoulder titles and miniature Queen’s Korea.

Photocopied papers that confirm all three medals.

Edited by azyeoman

Glorious Glosters Note the large cap badge and the small back cap badge as on the MK44 helmet that follows.

To

1. Queen’s Korea (2nd Type) 22359899 Pte. L. P. Jay Glosters. He was from Bath and in Co. A.
    2. UN Korea (unnamed as issued)

Swing mounted as worn with front and back cap badges, cloth shoulder title and US and Korean Presidential citations. Also court mounted as worn miniature pair.

Edited by azyeoman

Not a medal, but it most certainly follows the posting above... for those of you who don't know, the Glosters wore two cap badges and a small one was at the back; this is a photo of a small badge at the back of one of the M44 turtle helmets as used in Korea. Here's a link to find out more on the double badge... http://www.glosters.org/bbadge.htm

Edited by azyeoman

They guy I got it from told me it was from Gloster Hill, but who knows. It is certainly possible and I'd like to think likely, but without provinance, sadly I can't say that for certain it's a battlefield pick up. I can't think of another modern conflict where it would have sustained that sort of damage and I am confident that the damage is real and not faked as it's similar to many other relics and headgear I have that come from WWI and WWII battlefields. The fact that it's a M44 and black, certainly puts it in the right time period.

SAAF - Cheetah Sqd.

1. S. African Korean Volunteers Medal P8640 L. Pond
    2. Italy Star 100660 L. Pond
    3. Defence Medal 100660 L. Pond
    4. ’39-45 War Medal 100660 L. Pond
    5. African Service Medal 100660 L. Pond
    6. UN Korea P. 8640 L. Pond
    7. S. Korean War Medal (unnamed as issued)

With cap badge, collar badges, brass shoulder titles and S. African Korean mini pair.

Dutch group - The Netherlands rotated one infantry battalion and five warships. Only 3,972 Crosses for Freedom were issued with one clasp; 516 with two and 38 with three clasps.

Edited by azyeoman