News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Korean War is NOT forgotten

azyeoman

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my dads medals from his Korean War service aboard HMS Mounts Bay (along with a medal for the Malayan Emergency) - and 3 photos taken from his photo album showing shell damage from coastal batteries, a wounded member of the ships company being medevac'd to USS Juneau and the sea ice.

Edited by hucks216

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for the Turkish UN Medal for years and finally found one!!! FYI, the Turks replaced the traditional blue and white ribbon because it is the same color as the Greek flag. Despite Turkey having one of the largest contingents, with 14,936 Turks in Korea during the entire conflict, it's one of the more difficult ones to find.

Edited by azyeoman

A Turkish UN Korea Medal was also a "must have" for my collection and, thanks to a GMIC member, I eventually got one. Mine has the conventional ribbon. I had wanted a red-ribboned one, but they seem to be exceptionally rare.

The Turks in Korea had a remarkable record and I have the utmost admiration for them.

Regards

Brett

• 3 weeks later...

The latest addition a rare officially named US POW Medal to:

Sgt. 1st Class Morris W. Yount

Serial Number 37380170

Born: 5 August 1921

Captured 12 Feb. 1951

Released 5 Sept. 1953

Camp 1 Ch'ang-Song (Permanent Camp 1 - Changsong - near Camp 3 on the Yalu River.) See map below:

http://www.pownetwork.org/pownet.secure.2/korean_war_pow_camps.pdf

Total number of Korean War POWs 2,701 died in captivity; 4,418 returned alive; 21 refused repatriation.

Dossier C8055073

Medal entitlement:

POW Medal (named Morris W. Yount)

National Defense Medal

US Korean War Medal

UN Korean War Medal

The Prisoner of War Medal is a military award of the United States armed forces which was authorized by Congress and signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on 8 November 1985. The United States Code citation for the POW Medal statute is 10 U.S.C.& 1128.

The Prisoner of War Medal may be awarded to any person who was a prisoner of war after April 5, 1917 (the date of the United States' entry into World War I was April 6). It is awarded to any person who was taken prisoner or held captive while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing Armed Force; or while serving with friendly forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing Armed Force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. As of an amendment to Title 10 of the United States Code in 2013, the medal is also awarded for captivity under circumstances "which the Secretary concerned finds were comparable to those circumstances under which persons have generally been held captive by enemy armed forces during periods of armed conflict." The person's conduct, while in captivity, must have been honorable. This medal may be awarded posthumously to the surviving next of kin of the recipient. No more than one Prisoner of War Medal may be awarded. For any subsequent award of the medal, service stars will be awarded and worn on the suspension and service ribbon of the medal. The medal was designed by Jay C. Morris of the United States Army Institute of Heraldry.

Edited by azyeoman

I did not know that the US has a POW Medal. Thank you for showing it. Such medals should exist for all countries involved in wars. It would be a small reward for the lost years experienced by POW's.

Regards

Brett

Those are some outstanding groups.

HerrGeneral, what nation is that one from? I bet that he must have been someone very imporant to have all of those foreign awards. Was he an American who went abroad? I have not seen a Soldiers Medal bestowed upon a non American.

Paul

Great photo of the Glosters wearing the above shoulder sleeve insignia; referred to affectionately by many as the frozen A$$hole.

How intersting. The Glosters won the Presidential Unit Citation at the Battle of the Imjin River. While.....

A Canadian PPCLI Korean War Veteran wearing his official full-size medals on his left breast and his full-size Korean Veterans Association of Canada medal bar on his right breast.

attachicon.gifwallphoto3.jpg

...........25 miles further to the east, other Chinese forces were involved in an attack on UN forces which included 27 Commonwealth Brigade. That battle became known as the Battle for Kapyong, where this vetran fought as indicated by his Presidential Unit Citation, for holding off the Chinese after calling a "Danger Close" Fire mission.

What this means is you are calling for fire on top of your own trenches to avoid being overrun......

:cheers:

Larry

Edited by Laurence Strong

Yep, what an eventful time that was and why I tried to get at least pairs to all the units involved in both battles... truly great historical pieces that graced the chest of the heros who fought against the Chinese and N. Koreans. (See early pics in the thread) To be honest, I don't know why more people don't collect Korean War medals.

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

A standard ribbon set for an American korean war vet. 

On an KComZ Jacket. 

The Korean Communication Zone was active from June 11 1952 till July 1956.

From Wikipedia:

KComZ became responsible for all logistics support to UN, US and Korean forces, political and economic relations with the South Korean government, operation of Korean National Railways and control of all POWs.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Edited by Uffz. Rohleder

• 6 months later...

208744 BDR D B McDONALD, RNZA (EIIR First type obverse), mounted as worn with Korean War 40th Anniversary Medal1950-1990........ Desmond Bruce McDonald, 16 Field Regiment, Royal NZ Artillery, arrived Korea 27 August 1952, returned NZ 13 March 1954, returned to Korea 2 June 1954, promoted to Bombadier, discharged 10 February 1955, Died Christchurch 30 January 2001.

CM0313a-1.jpg

• 7 months later...