News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I have owned this buckle for many years and have had various opinions as to what units received this Nickel plated buckle and what the initials stand for on the reverse. Has anyone seen a buckle that looks similiar? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

• Replies 167
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel,

Beautiful buckle! According to A.C.O. of 27 Feb 1899, this buckle in "white metal" was to be worn by enlisted and NCO ranks below Feldwebel of the Berlin fire brigade. I have two buckles of this type. No idea if other organisations wore this type as well, but we can definitely count the army out. As to the markings, possibly a manufacturer's mark (viz the somewhat stylised central emblem). BTW, I also have a silver-plated Bavarian buckle, does anybody have an idea on that one?

Best regards,

Kurt

Joel,

Beautiful buckle! According to A.C.O. of 27 Feb 1899, this buckle in "white metal" was to be worn by enlisted and NCO ranks below Feldwebel of the Berlin fire brigade. I have two buckles of this type. No idea if other organisations wore this type as well, but we can definitely count the army out. As to the markings, possibly a manufacturer's mark (viz the somewhat stylised central emblem). BTW, I also have a silver-plated Bavarian buckle, does anybody have an idea on that one?

Best regards,

Kurt

WOW....That is great to know! I was linking this belt to the Army - and I would never have considered it as part of a fire brigade!

Very cool! Thanks for filling us in!

Rob

• 1 year later...
    • 3 weeks later...

and the Leibgarde I.R. 115

Hi Chip,

Very nice buckles, especially this one for the Leibgarde JR 115 !

Do you know the name of metal it is made ?

In french, it is "Maillechort" but I don't know the word in english.

:cheers:

Stephan

Stephan,

I would say in English it would be German silver or nickel silver. In Germany it is referred to as Neusilber or Alpaka. Maillechort, I believe, is an alloy in this family, but it has zink in it.

Chip

Stephan,

I would say in English it would be German silver or nickel silver. In Germany it is referred to as Neusilber or Alpaka. Maillechort, I believe, is an alloy in this family, but it has zink in it.

Chip

Thanks for your answer !

This alloy (Maillechort) is made of : copper, nickel and zinc.

I know what is "Alpaka", and it seems to be the same thing.

Stephan

• 4 months later...

Chris,

No question about the top one. The bottom one looks like a private purchase piece from front, because of coppery color of the body, but the back looks more like that of an issue piece. I'd guess private purchase if I had to guess. Nice buckles, by-the-way!

Chip

• 11 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 8 months later...