News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A real 'gem' in a forthcoming auction

wm5806

Wish I could afford this one! It's up for auction in a week's time.

A George IV gold masonic Past Masters jewel, of oval form with motifs over a blue enamelled background. Presented to Brother George Haslewood P.M. by the Brethren of British Lodge No. 8, 1828

Estimate ?500-700

[attachmentid=26757]

Edited by wm5806

What a fantastic Jewel ...Is that a glass dome over it? I can see a reflection

Yes, there was a trend to glass-in the jewels around that time. Not sure why, whether it was to keep the dust out (lot of powder from the wigs worn then, or do I have my history muddled?), or because in some cases they were quite delicate.

An example of the latter are the French Prisoner of War jewels made here, especially in Devon because of them being quartered around Princetown, so that their makers could earn money for food. They made very intricate collages of masonic symbols out of scraps of material: bone, ivory, hair, wire, in fact anything! They were sold to local Masons and are truly magnificent to see, especially when you remember that they are nearly 200 years old now.

I will enclose a picture of one in this post, but make no apologies for not reducing it's size as you need to see the detail.

WM5806

[attachmentid=26827]

Edited by wm5806

I NEVER heard of (or seen) anything like this ...this is GREAT.

I'd imagine these examples are quite rare ..at least over here!

Very uncommon, I would say and very highly sought after. I don't have one myself, but if I saw one for sale, I would probably have to pay in the region of 200GBP (350-400USD) to obtain it.

There's quite a detailed study been written by JT Thorp, entitled "French Prisoners' Lodges" from the Leicester Lodge of Research in 1935. The first edition was, I think, only a pamphlet produced around 1900, but his research continued and expanded, resulting in quite a hefty volume and denoted the 2nd edition.

Worth looking out for on some of the secondhand book search engines and about USD 100-150.

Kindest regards

WM5806

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I could afford this one! It's up for auction in a week's time.

A George IV gold masonic Past Masters jewel, of oval form with motifs over a blue enamelled background. Presented to Brother George Haslewood P.M. by the Bretheren of British Lodge No. 8, 1828

Estimate ?500-700

[attachmentid=26757]

British Lodge, No. 8, London

Ancient British Lodge, No.4 [now British Lodge, No.8] - The British Lodge No. 8 was established in 1722. In 1722 its place of meeting is unknown but by 1723 it met at Tom's Coffee House, Clare Street, London and now meets at Freemasons' Hall. It is one of the nineteen lodges which have the privilege of nominating each year a member for appointment by the Grand Master as a Grand Steward, therefore known as a Red Apron Lodge.

Edited by Humber

It was fashionable to glass in medals during this time. The Trafalgar Medal issued to Captains is another example of this type of glass seal over the obverse and reverse.

I guess I've been collecting WW2 so long I never noticed any of them before ..they are a class act.

Does anyone know what that Masonic one sold for ?