News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Headdresses

Guest RLB

Hello All.

I want to show some things from my collection.

Russian helmet SSH-39 and Pilotka , both headdresses a wartime of manufacturing

• Replies 81
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello RLB,

i was hoping, you could give me an overview of the helmets, that were in use during the war and later in soviet times. Are helmets from WW2 hard to find or are there still plenty of them around? What should i expect to pay for a battle-worn original helmet? And what do i have to look for on originals?

Like i said, i know nothing about soviet helmets, so i would appreciate any info.

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

We almost never see old Soviet helmets, only new ones, and those are very often Warsaw Pact types, not actually Russian-made ones. So a lot of us (me too) do not know how to tell if a helmet was made in 1943... or 1983.

I like the pilotka very much-- the extra stitching around where the red star once was is a nice personalized feature! :beer:

We almost never see old Soviet helmets, only new ones, and those are very often Warsaw Pact types, not actually Russian-made ones. So a lot of us (me too) do not know how to tell if a helmet was made in 1943... or 1983.

I like the pilotka very much-- the extra stitching around where the red star once was is a nice personalized feature! :beer:

Ahhhh, that explains of course the lacking info on the internet.

Thanks, Rick.

Gerd

This is a highly comprehensive book about Soviet helmets. It is readily available on efake and Amazon for under $35.00 US. It was written by Robert W Clawson. I recommend it highly...

Edited by RichieC

Here are few examples of Soviet lids from my collection:

IMAGES 1-7: Model 1936/SSH-36 with "FAT STAR" frontal application and second type liner. The first type was similar to the leather, German M35 liner. However, it did not hold up very well in the field. It is a rare occasion in any case, to find a M36 with its's original first type of liner as early-on, most were torn out so the helmet could be worn over the M40 Ushanka, or "Finka" cap during the harsh Finnish winters of 1939-40.

IMAGES 8-11: Model 1936/SSH-36 with "THIN STAR" & Hammer & Sickle frontal application with the second type liner.

IMAGES 12-16: Model 1939/SSH-39 with Star/Hammer & Sickle frontal application. This example retains the type of liner which is similar to the SSH-36 second type liner. As with the SSH-36 first type of liner, the M39's first type of liner did not hold up very well. Again, it was the fingered type, but constructed of flimsy oilcloth. I will try and dig up an un-copyrighted photo of the first type of liner. Surprisingly, there is no photo of this type shown in the Clawson book. As far as painted stars are concerned; stars of any type were phased out until well after 1945. I posess limited retained knowledge of helmets from this period on.

IMAGES 17-22: Model 1916 Izhora. These were used by Imperial troops during WWI and by the Soviets during the 20s & 30s along with the Russian Adrian (I do not have any of these because most out there for sale are FAKE). This particular example displays attributes of both the Izhora and Finnish "Sohlberg" (M-17) models. The shell with small rivets is of Russian design, and the vent cap and liner are of Finnish. Get the Clawson book I mentioned in an earlier post and READ UP...

IMAGE23: 1930s era SHVARTZ Experimental, AKA the "X36". These were never mass produced or used in combat. A cache of them were discovered in a St Petersburg industrial facility's storage bunker in the late 90s. Lt Aleksandr Abramovich Shvartz also designed the VERY rare Model 28 which I do not own an example of. Also, Lt Shvartz was one of the many who needlessly perished in Uncle Joe Stalin's paranoia induced purges of the late 1930s... I do not own this helmet any longer. I traded it for an adornment that my lovely wife now wears on one of her dainty little fingers... :P In any case, I feel that my fond memories of this rare prototype "Kaska" are worth posting here...

I also have a Model 1940/SSH-40 that I can not seem to locate the photos of. I will post them at a latter date...

Richie C

Hello All.

I want to show some things from my collection.

Russian helmet SSH-39 and Pilotka , both headdresses a wartime of manufacturing

By the way RLB, I admit publicly that I am "in love" with your Pilotka... I do not have such an exquisite example. Please, show more of your items...

Richie C

By the way RLB, I admit publicly that I am "in love" with your Pilotka... I do not have such an exquisite example. Please, show more of your items...

Richie C

Richie,

thanks a lot for the information. I will probably keep my eyes open for the book, you mentioned, although i only want one example of a soviet helmet. But at least now i know, what to look for. :beer:

Thanks again.

Gerd

Hello RLB,

i was hoping, you could give me an overview of the helmets, that were in use during the war and later in soviet times. Are helmets from WW2 hard to find or are there still plenty of them around? What should i expect to pay for a battle-worn original helmet? And what do i have to look for on originals?

Like i said, i know nothing about soviet helmets, so i would appreciate any info.

Gerd

Gerd,

At that time when I was not in forum, mister Richie C very detailed has told about the Soviet military helmets. :beer:

I can advise to buy you Ssh-39 on three rivets, it is a guarantee that the helmet is made up to 45 years. As it is necessary to pay attention to color, it should be be brightly green on early helmets.

Unfortunately, the Soviet helmets and пилотки a wartime in Russia are very rare also cost high. A helmet approximately 200-250, and пилотка 100-400 (the price depends on one year of manufacturing)

Vladimir

Edited by RLB